cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Photos Backup to new iMac

Download Photos Backup to new iMac

mcarbl
Helpful | Level 6

I bought a new desktop Mac. Before I sold my old one, I backed up the Photos Library.photoslibrary file as a Dropbox Backup. I no longer have this machine and it is removed from my iCloud account. 

I know want to download that photo library to my new Mac. Dropbox won’t let me do this in one download. It says there are “too many zips” 

my question is: once I’ve downloaded everything from the dropbox back up, will I be able to use them to import into the library on my new Mac?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mcarbl
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Nancy

Thank you for getting back to me. I used the Dropbox Backup solution to select my photolibrary on my MAC, and it was all automated from that point. 

To download, I had to select individual groups of folders due to the 'too many zips' message. It's a shame it wasn't automated to download as it was to upload. After all, it is Dropbox's backup process that must have created the 'zips'. 

Nevertheless, I've downloaded everything and successfully imported the library onto my new Mac.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mcarbl! Thanks for posting about this here.

As a first step, can you describe to me the steps you took in order to back up your old device’s Photos Library to Dropbox?

What’s the size of the Photos Library that you’ve stored on your Dropbox account? Are you receiving the same error, if you try to download it via another browser?

Let me know more info.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mcarbl
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Nancy

Thank you for getting back to me. I used the Dropbox Backup solution to select my photolibrary on my MAC, and it was all automated from that point. 

To download, I had to select individual groups of folders due to the 'too many zips' message. It's a shame it wasn't automated to download as it was to upload. After all, it is Dropbox's backup process that must have created the 'zips'. 

Nevertheless, I've downloaded everything and successfully imported the library onto my new Mac.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mcarbl Helpful | Level 6
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?