cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleted files from Dropbox were also deleted from my PC

Deleted files from Dropbox were also deleted from my PC

NoviceToDb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dear all,

I would like to ask for an advice how to proceed further.

A few days ago, I signed up in Dropbox – web version. When setting up my account, I must have left the default ticks to sync Dropbox with my Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders. Later I realized that I should have not left this default setting. As expected my free storage limit of 2 GB was exceeded and I tried to clean it up, so I deleted the files in my Dropbox web account. It turned out that these files were deleted from my computer as well (they were removed from Desktop, Documents and Downloads).

I was able to restore them from “Deleted files”, but the point is that I still do not have those files on my computer (please see the first screenshot ScS_1). I managed to download them from Dropbox and have them saved on an external flash drive. I can manually copy and paste them on locations on my computer, but is there a more proper way to do that automatically from my Dropbox account to my computer (i.e. transfer those deleted files from Dropbox to my computer, analogous to the way they were removed from my computer previously)?

In addition, when I try to access my Downloads folder from the Windows Explorer, I get an error message (please see the second screenshot ScS_2).

Can someone please help me with this? I would be extremely grateful. I searched different sources, but was not able to find a solution

ScS_1.jpgScS_2.jpg

17 Replies 17

haw3455
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

All of my files that are on My PC (desktop) somehow got into the Dropbox (and needless to say I ran out of space).

When I try to delete any files from inside the Dropbox, it "threatens" to delete the file "everywhere", which means, I would be left with nothing because it is the core of My PC.

How can I get My PC and all the files in it out of Dropbox but not wipe it out of my computer altogether? Thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@haw3455 wrote:

All of my files that are on My PC (desktop) somehow got into the Dropbox

You have the computer backup feature enabled.

haw3455
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks you so much Rich.

It worked, however, My PC and Desktop folders are still in Dropbox.

Is there a way to get them out of there?

Thanks for your help.

haw3455
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Rich, again,

It seems like it wasn't working. Then I went back under Preferences, then I clicked on Sync and then on Selective Synch and noticed My PC was checked. So I unchecked it. I hope that was it. Have no idea why all of my stuff literally went into Dropbox.

Thanks for the help

haw3455
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

My problem is still not solved.

All the Folders, including my My PC is still inside of Dropbox and I am not able to move them out.

If I attempt to move them, I get a warning message that everything will be completely deleted.

What kind of B.S. is that. 

Dropbox is pretty much holding all my Files and Folders hostage.

Can anyone please tell me what to do? 

Thanks

haw3455
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, 
I have a similar problem. My Dropbox has My PC and all my Desktop files and folders in it.

If I try to move any of the files, I get a "threatening" message that everything will be deleted.

I already canceled the Syncing in the Dropbox that caused this whole mess (as I just learned)

Can anyone please help me get everything out of the Dropbox and back onto my desktop without it getting deleted. 

Thanks

Ecuriel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I chatted with a tech online and they suggested that I stop syncing Dropbox with the PC. Then you can grab all your files and and "move" them to your PC.  It worked for me and I am doing ok now.  I followed the instructions on how to do that.  Any files that you deleted accidentally will be in the deleted folder on Dropbox and you can recover those as well.  Good luck.

stru
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is what happened: Dropbox has a new feature. During installation a box reading "Back Up" is checked by default. Without ANY other notification whatsoever, Dropbox REMOVES all your local files during the installation and puts them on a folder of its own (online). Same thing happened to me in July and I ended up loosing all files that were locally stored in my laptop. I deleted the folder in dropbox and everything dissapeared from my hard drive too. I am still strugling to recover them. The folder was over 10GB so it was "deleted for ever". 

After this I completely removed Dropbox from my laptop and guess what: whatever I save in the "Documents" folder, still appears to be in a dropbox path. Technician told me I have to do a whole format of my laptop to get rid of that.

What can I say, this is an absolut shame you Dropbox guys.

Need more support?