cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleted files from Dropbox were also deleted from my PC

Deleted files from Dropbox were also deleted from my PC

NoviceToDb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dear all,

I would like to ask for an advice how to proceed further.

A few days ago, I signed up in Dropbox – web version. When setting up my account, I must have left the default ticks to sync Dropbox with my Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders. Later I realized that I should have not left this default setting. As expected my free storage limit of 2 GB was exceeded and I tried to clean it up, so I deleted the files in my Dropbox web account. It turned out that these files were deleted from my computer as well (they were removed from Desktop, Documents and Downloads).

I was able to restore them from “Deleted files”, but the point is that I still do not have those files on my computer (please see the first screenshot ScS_1). I managed to download them from Dropbox and have them saved on an external flash drive. I can manually copy and paste them on locations on my computer, but is there a more proper way to do that automatically from my Dropbox account to my computer (i.e. transfer those deleted files from Dropbox to my computer, analogous to the way they were removed from my computer previously)?

In addition, when I try to access my Downloads folder from the Windows Explorer, I get an error message (please see the second screenshot ScS_2).

Can someone please help me with this? I would be extremely grateful. I searched different sources, but was not able to find a solution

ScS_1.jpgScS_2.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to us here @NoviceToDb!

If you previously uninstalled the desktop app, or have since disabled the backup feature with the steps Jay mentioned above, then the backup should no longer be syncing those folders to your Dropbox account.

However, the error that you're getting there for the Downloads folder may be due to deleting the folder without correctly disabling the backup feature. It's a little unexpected that the file path wouldn't revert back automatically.

To restore the default folder path for your Downloads folder, you can right click the folder and choose "Properties", and from there choose "Restore Default".

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @NoviceToDb, thanks for posting on the Community!

If you’ve restored the deleted files from the site, then installing the Dropbox desktop application would allow the files to download to your machine automatically.

You can then disable the automatic computer backup, if you haven’t done so already, and then move the files from the Dropbox folder to their old locations.

Hope this helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

NoviceToDb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Jay 

Thank you for your reply! 

Hopefully I will be able to download the files from my dropbox web account to my computer.

But can you please help me fix the issue with the unavailable path and directory (in this case "Downloads" as disclosed in the second screen shot from my previous post). Is there a way to solve this or I simply have to create the missing folder in the path where it is supposed to be (outside the dropbox folder)?

Thank you in advance!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to us here @NoviceToDb!

If you previously uninstalled the desktop app, or have since disabled the backup feature with the steps Jay mentioned above, then the backup should no longer be syncing those folders to your Dropbox account.

However, the error that you're getting there for the Downloads folder may be due to deleting the folder without correctly disabling the backup feature. It's a little unexpected that the file path wouldn't revert back automatically.

To restore the default folder path for your Downloads folder, you can right click the folder and choose "Properties", and from there choose "Restore Default".

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NoviceToDb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you for the reply @Daphne!

Your reply actually solved my issue and helped me restore the defualt path of the folder.

All the best!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that @NoviceToDb!

If there's anything else that I can help with, don't hesitate to give me a nudge here. I'd be more than happy to help further. :grin:

Hoping you have a great week ahead!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Ecuriel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropboxers,

Can i do a [path] restore Default for my Documents folder on my Windows 10 PC?  Will this get rid of it always going to dropbox first.? I don't like the path going to Dropbox first. I want control of the files and the path.  I really hate what this new Dropbox has done to my computer.  Can i also just do an "Unlink" my PC to solve this...Just had it reimaged with a new operating system and had to load all my programs back on and that included Dropbox.  To my surprise it has moved everything and i have lost control.  Please advise.  I am terrified i have lost some files.  BTW i don't have a lot of space and now the "Documents" folder did not backup completely and don't want to "upgrade" just to finish the backup.  i am very frustrated with this whole thing and am getting very stressed over it.

Thanks

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Ecuriel, thanks for joining us here!

I would strongly recommend disabling the backup through the desktop app settings first. Resetting the folder path was only something I suggest due to an issue where the path was not automatically reset.

To disable the backup, please follow the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article. You'll then be able to move the contents of your backup folder in Dropbox back to their original locations.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Ecuriel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I followed the Turn off computer backup 8 steps: Click Dropbox icon in system tray; click profile picture; preferences; backups tab; manage backup; uncheck all files; save; click stop anyway; 

Files will then remain in Dropbox but won't appear in their original folders on my PC.  There will be a shortcut to them called "My Files in Dropbox.

On my computer, they were accessible by a shortcut folder called “My files in Dropbox” that appeared in the “Desktop”, “Documents”, and “Downloads” folder that I'm no longer backing up to Dropbox.

This seems to be working for me and I have my files back on my PC only.  I will exam more deeply in the next few days as I open files and programs tied to these files.   I'll get back to you if they don't. Thanks for that.  Whewwww!

Q: Can I then safely perform an "unlink"?  I don't want Dropbox to link or sync to my PC  until i feel more confident.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey again @Ecuriel!

I'm glad to hear you stopped the backup without any issues. If you would like to unlink the desktop app for now, then please feel free to do so.

The Dropbox folder will remain on your computer, but it will just be like any other folder on your computer and will no longer sync with your account online. You can rename the folder or just leave it as it is for the meantime.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?