cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couln't download. Remove incompatible characters from the filename

Couln't download. Remove incompatible characters from the filename

Dimples
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Recently all of my computer with Dropbox have started showing a sync error "Couln't download. Remove incompatible characters from the filename. e.g. emojis, /\"<>:|?*"

The problem filename isn't shown, the "Go to File" link just takes me to the root directory of my drive, and I obviously can't search for those bad characters.  How do I find this file to solve the sync issue?

Screenshot 2022-05-15 07.34.56.png

164 Replies 164

Roy2010
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Nancy, I've renamed one of these troublesome files. Just added a dash '-' character in the name. The "alert" icon is still there next to the file in the Finder. (see screenshots below)
I've restarted the Dropbox app, but it did not help.

Now I get the same sync issue reported with the file having its new file name.

Any clue what to do next?

Capture d’écran 2024-02-02 à 19.38.36.pngCapture d’écran 2024-02-02 à 19.38.47.pngCapture d’écran 2024-02-02 à 19.39.09.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Roy2010 - sorry to jump in here, but could you try renaming your files to something simpler and let us know if the issue persists? 

If it does, could you move the files out of your Dropbox folder and then back in and let me know how it goes? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Roy2010
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

It tried renaming a file to a simpler name, i.e. "Mob6344872.pdf" which is shorter and does not have spaces nor special characters. The "alert" icon is still present next to the file on the Finder (see screenshot).
I've also tried to move this file out of the Dropbox folder (i.e. on the Desktop) and then back in the Dropbox folder. The sync issue persists and is listed with the new, simpler, file name.

Any other idea how I could get rid of these sync issues?
Best,

François

Capture d’écran 2024-02-03 à 13.10.21.pngCapture d’écran 2024-02-03 à 13.12.51.png

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @Roy2010,

Your files aren't too big (tens to hundreds KB), so you can try something else. Download your troublesome file (let's say the last one - Mob6344872.pdf) to a folder outside Dropbox folder (let's say on your Desktop). Just to make it sure - not to move the file from Dropbox to Desktop as you have done already, but to download it - important difference! After that, remove/erase the file from your Dropbox folder and make sure it's gone both locally and online. At the end, move the downloaded file to the original place in Dropbox folder. Shouldn't take too long to sync. Does this exercise works for you? 🤔

Good luck.

PS: Another option: instead to move the downloaded file locally to Dropbox folder, after making sure it's gone, upload it back to the folder where was downloaded from.

Roy2010
Helpful | Level 5

Hi!

I tried your trick, and it works!
While applying it, I found an even simpler procedure which also works to "fix" the troublesome files. I go the Dropbox web application, delete the files, then go to "Deleted files" and I restore them. After that, the sync issues for those files are resolved. This trick also works for entire folders, by the way.

Thanks a million!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Roy2010 Helpful | Level 5
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?