cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*.playground Swift not syncing

Couln't download. Remove incompatible characters from the filename

Dimples
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Recently all of my computer with Dropbox have started showing a sync error "Couln't download. Remove incompatible characters from the filename. e.g. emojis, /\"<>:|?*"

The problem filename isn't shown, the "Go to File" link just takes me to the root directory of my drive, and I obviously can't search for those bad characters.  How do I find this file to solve the sync issue?

Screenshot 2022-05-15 07.34.56.png

164 Replies 164

seregab
New member | Level 2

Hello Dropbox, how it is possible to block filenames with . in the filename? And it's written in your FAQ! Nowadays practically all filenames are with dots. What's wrong with this filename - "libserial9bit.so"?  Looks like you fired all qualified staff and hired students.

I uploaded picture here.

Screenshot 2023-12-30 104837.png

IainF
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

Mac Mini 2018, MacOS 14.1.2, Dropbox 189.4.8395.

I've started getting a sync issue in the dropdown menu in the menubar for Dropbox. The message says "can't sync files" and the file in question is the .dropbox file (which is invisible).

I use Pathfinder and Finder but the file is not set to be visible in either of them.

Not sure what has generated this issue.

I've quit and restarted DropBox but no change

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Iain

Joha2
New member | Level 2

Screenshot - 2023-12-30 , 19_12_43.png

chikega
Helpful | Level 5

So anyone else having issues with Dropbox not being able to sync *.playground files from XCode? I have no issues in OneDrive, Google Drive or Box. 😕 
Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 5.02.11 PM.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @IainF - sorry to hear about this. 

Could you send us a screenshot of the app's exact status as shown in your menu bar so that we can have a visual too?

Did you reboot your computer since you first noticed this by the way? 

Any additional information is more than welcome! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

IainF
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

thanks for reaching out.

Dropbox menu message.pngDropbox message detail.png

My computer shuts down after backing up daily so there have been a few restarts since this started happening.
Cheers

Iain

JamesSu
Explorer | Level 3

I have the same problem with Dropbox 198.4.8395 on a Dell XPS running Windows10

Not applicable

Same issue here, it's been 2 weeks now...

JDutton94
Explorer | Level 4

JDutton94_0-1704298066706.png

We have had the same issue, cropped up a few weeks ago. Suddenly a load of folders appeared with : in them which have been fine for years and years, and its causing constant sync issues. Reading through this post in detail, it seems we are not the only one with this problem, and Dropbox are doing nothing about it. This is affecting 300+ folders, going through and renaming them one by one isn't an acceptable solution, clearly there is a bug somewhere that needs addressing.

Not applicable

Screenshot 2024-01-03 alle 17.24.51.png

 The issue seems to affect files that are always been synced without any warning: see Lightroom catalog for example. Which, btw, Dropbox says it is correctly synced!

Need more support?