cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Couldn't sync file - view now link - Sync issues box - 1 file - 1 folder appears - go nowhere

Couln't download. Remove incompatible characters from the filename

Dimples
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Recently all of my computer with Dropbox have started showing a sync error "Couln't download. Remove incompatible characters from the filename. e.g. emojis, /\"<>:|?*"

The problem filename isn't shown, the "Go to File" link just takes me to the root directory of my drive, and I obviously can't search for those bad characters.  How do I find this file to solve the sync issue?

Screenshot 2022-05-15 07.34.56.png

164 Replies 164

Samaelsquirrel
Helpful | Level 5

... nice fail.

Access Denied
You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @Gordo1, thanks for posting here! 

If you have some screenshots, they'd definitely be more than welcome. 

Also, if you search for the content online, are you able to locate them there? 

I would like for you to locate your Dropbox icon, on the menu bar, next to your WiFi and date and hover your mouse there. That should give you the version of the app. 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

utpmg
Helpful | Level 7

Well, that link fails, but it seems to point to something related to Dropbox Beta. I'm not using Beta.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Allow me then to share the response here as well: 

A change was made recently which surfaces these issues in Dropbox's Sync issues UI, but this specific issue previously existed before that recent change.

When Dropbox on macOS uses File Provider, macOS specifies certain filenames types that they will ignore, including filenames ending in a '~'. This ignore list is built-into macOS. Because of this, Dropbox can't sync files that match one of these ignored filename patterns.

If you have a file that matches this ignore list in your Dropbox on our servers (maybe you uploaded it from a different device for instance), we cannot download that file onto a device running macOS. It is still safe on Dropbox's servers. You can either ignore the warning or you can remove the file from your Dropbox through the website if you don't want to sync it to any of your devices.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

utpmg
Helpful | Level 7

But these files were originally stored using a Mac. I've never used a PC. I understand that something has changed, but users should be notified that a change has been made, not surprised with dozens of "errors" suddenly. 

mdraznin
Helpful | Level 5
Copying and pasting that “answer” here is not resolving this problem. You’re here to understand and resolve customers’ - who pay lots of $$ and most are long time users- problems. C’mon Dropbox. Get someone on this problem who will interact here with solutions IRT and get this resolved. This prob has been going on for years now. That’s unacceptable. Pointing us to another thread is equally unacceptable.

Gordo1
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Megan,

Thank you for replying and any help.

The version of the Dropbox App is 189.4.8395 and says its up to date.

Attachments:

ss-01 - the notification on the desktop.

ss-02 the pop-up window when notification is clicked.

I have tried clicking the link to "view file" and "go to folder" but I do not get any result. 

I have searched online for this content and so far I have not been able to locate the file or the folder. Please help me with next steps, I really appreciate it.

Best,

Gordon

ss-01.png

ss-02.png

  

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Gordo1 - sorry to jump in here, but could you let us know if you've also tried the 'view now' button within the notification?

Also, can you navigate to your backups page and let us know if you see those files or folders listed there? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Gordo1
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

The "view now" link pulls up the Sync Issues pop-up window. (Attachment "ss-02")

The Backups Page has never been used. My dropbox is large and I have never used the back up, so that make take awhile.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

In that case, could you try fixing your hardlinks and permissions and let us know how it goes @Gordo1

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?