cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can you see who downloaded a file if they did it without logging in?

Can you see who downloaded a file if they did it without logging in?

icegurl101
Explorer | Level 3

If someone downloaded a file without logging into an account, could the host who has viewer history on, see who exactly downloaded it or see the IP address of that anonymous user? Is it different for hosts who share file links via a Dropbox business account? 

Also, how much privacy do anonymous users have within Dropbox when accessing shared file links?

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @icegurl101, welcome to our Community! 

When you mention "viewer history" I assume you're referring to viewer info, right? 

Our viewer info feature provides you with visibility into who has viewed a file. Only members with ‘Can edit’ and ‘Can view’ permissions will appear. If anyone has access to the content via a shared link they will only show as a guest.

Keep in mind you won't see the IP address, or if the content was downloaded of the content. 

Individuals with a team account can also see time stamps showing when a member with Can edit or Can view permissions last viewed your file.

I hope this clarifies!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

icegurl101
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks! So if a guest opened the link and downloaded it without logging in, it wouldn't show that they downloaded it or even their IP address? No matter the type of plan the host has?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Correct @icegurl101!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?