cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I remove the new right click context menu on the website?

Can I remove the new right click context menu on the website?

jay27
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I've had an annoying new issue crop up that I can't find any answers for.  When viewing my company files on Chrome, previously I could right click on a file and get the Chrome menu, which included "Open link in new tab", "Open link in new window", etc.  Now, when I right click a file, it is selected (with the check mark) and the Dropbox popup menu appears.  This is super inconvenient, because when I open a folder for work, I typically open 10+ items in a new window, consecutively.  Now the only way I've figured out to make that work is to click on the "more" three dots which opens the Dropbox popup and then I can go down and right click on a file and open in new window.  This may not sound like a big deal, but it is a massive time drain for the type of work I do.  Also, no one else in my company has had this issue, and I did not make any changes to Chrome, Dropbox, or my computer that corresponded to this change.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @jay27, welcome to our Community.

This is actually a new change to the website's interface. It hasn't been rolled out to everyone yet, that's why your colleagues don't see it.

We do appreciate your feedback about this, though, I'll make sure to pass your comments along to our team.

As a workaround, you can use the middle click on your mouse. Simply hover over a file and click the middle button. It should do the trick.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @jay27, welcome to our Community.

This is actually a new change to the website's interface. It hasn't been rolled out to everyone yet, that's why your colleagues don't see it.

We do appreciate your feedback about this, though, I'll make sure to pass your comments along to our team.

As a workaround, you can use the middle click on your mouse. Simply hover over a file and click the middle button. It should do the trick.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

jay27
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you Hannah!  The middle button actually works better than the old right-click because there is no dropdown to navigate...just auto-opens in a new window.  Very much appreciated!!!!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
That's awesome, Jay! Happy to help!

If you need anything else, make sure to give us a shout.

Have a great weekend! 🙂

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

MigrateSound
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This is great Hannah. Thanks for this workaround but have you thought of mac user?. I am in the same situation as @jay27 and my work habits are extremely affected by this new feature. I don't have a middle click on the magic mouse. Perhaps a simultaneous key press would be useful in order to bring up the menu we're are used to. Just a thought.

Thanks.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @MigrateSound, the middle click is a standard shortcut in most browsers to open links in new tabs, and isn't restricted to the Dropbox site.

You might have an alternative if using a different type of mouse which doesn't support middle clicking, or you might be able to configure a new shortcut in the browser settings.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

MigrateSound
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi @Jay,

I've done some additional research since my last post and I figured out a way to open a directory or document in a new tab. I simply have to hold the command key in addition to a simple left click. Not too complicated. Just had to try a few combinations before finding it. Thanks for the follow-up.

L.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MigrateSound Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    jay27 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?