cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk download all my files

Bulk download all my files

Vellariser1980
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi. I can no longer afford the monthly fee, but have 26gb of files. Please can you advise how I can do a bulk download perhaps multiple zip.files rather than individual downloads?Many thanks

20 Replies 20

Lukeharrison112
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think we have to download them folder by folder as per my knowledge. If there is a way please let me know as well.

scheasbro
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same issue. I have over 3TB of data and now cannot afford the subscription. Dropbox is forcing me to download 20 GB at a time - except I have a few files that are over this size and there's no way to download them.

I think it's fair to say that my data is being held, hostage.

DangerDane
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
If you download through the desktop or mobile app the limit is a lot higher than 20gb

scheasbro
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I found that when, out of frustration, I tried to cancel and delete my Dropbox account altogether, Dropbox suddenly offered me another 14 days as an extended trial for my previous Business plan. I accepted and reinstalled Dropbox on my laptop. Thanks to a gigabit internet connection, I was able to download all of my files that were being held hostage. Problem solved. Now, Dropbox can end my trial and ride off into the sunset without me.

Google Workspace (5TB) is much cheaper at $20/mo and integrates nicely with both my Mac (iPad, MBP x3) and Android phone. Also, my new MBP has a large enough hard drive that I can keep all 5TB of my data local while simultaneously backing it up to Google Workspace. This is a temporary arrangement as I am in the process of building my own cloud server that will max out at around 1 PB.

tcsmith314
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, this is ridiculous what Dropbox does. I'm trying to get my files out of Dropbox; not because I can't afford it, but (despite only using 60% of my 2TB of data), it won't sync with a new computer. Support say's it's because I have too many files. This happened to me a couple of years ago - and, after spending a lot of effort doing this - I maned to zip folders to decrease the number of files. I would have thought this problem would have been worked out by now (2023), but it's not. Just as a warning to everyone, you syncing on new devices will stop when you exceed the file limit (the support person said 300,000 files) even if you are way under the total file storage limit. So, dropbox might be OK to store zip archives, it doesn't work well with a real set of folders with varied length files. 

scheasbro
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
The solution I finally came to after much back and forth with Dropbox support was for them to give me a 14 day trial of the business/professional level subscription, which allowed me time to hook a computer up to gigabit internet service and sync my files to me desktop. After that was done, I promptly deleted everything from Dropbox and moved all my data over to my Google Workspace account. It's much more flexible and is working well until I finish building my own cloud storage setup (NAS with private access). Then I can be done being dependent upon these cutthroat companies holding my data and files hostage.

benjaminjess
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay,

Have you improved upon this in the past 3 years?

My data is in various states of online/offline and I would like to create a local backup to an external drive of my entire dropbox drive, should there ever be any issues on your end with my data, or with syncing. I'm sure you've done your best to prevent them, but failures occur.

This process seems archaic and entirely tedious and an intentional friction point to ensure user retention—it's kinda gross. Can you please advise if you have an actual, reasonable solution to this thread's original question?

Thanks,

B

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @benjaminjess, there haven't been any new updates which could help in relation to this matter, nor are there any workarounds that we can offer. 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ainmo
New member | Level 2

There's a reason you've got 20 likes (including mine) it's really frustrating not being able to bulk download all files... It's like all of them are being held hostage. 
Dropbox : GoogleDrive-fear-much? 

ainmo
New member | Level 2

It's still not possible to bulk download all files, the desktop apps  only syncs. Plus, I've found a virus that resides on dropbox cache even if I have cleaned my whole system, it still shows the virus in dropbox cache... (and yes, I have deleted all files locally in dropbox cache... it's like the virus is online in dropbox, and everytime it syncs, I get the virus on my pc again...)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    ainmo New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    benjaminjess New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?