cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being redirected to old pages when clicking on links to Dropbox pages

Being redirected to old pages when clicking on links to Dropbox pages

chetkozl
Explorer | Level 3

When I click on links to take me to Dropbox pages, I am instantly redirected to an old page and can't get out. I have tried logging out and back in, back can't shake it. In other words, I am jammed up. I review films and often press info is in Dropbox folders. Can anyone help?

Thanks

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @chetkozl, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please clarify what kind of links you're clicking that redirect you to old pages? Are you maybe referring to bookmarks of your web browser? Also, what exactly do you mean by "old page"?

Have you tried clearing your browser's cache or using another browser to see if you get any different results? 

Keep us posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

chetkozl
Explorer | Level 3

Hello. Thank you for replying.

I don't know how to access my Dropbox cache to empty it. I do not have a Dropbox folder on my desktop.

I click links supplied by film companies which should take me to their press materials. I default instead to a page I haven't consulted in months, and no prospect of accessing current files.

I've tried different browsers, same thing.

I've signed in and out of my account, same thing.

Very frustrating: this is how materials are routinely distributed. That I am unable to do it is a real problem.

My problem started only two or three days ago. Up till then, no problem.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

So these links are not bookmarks.  As for clearing your browser's cache, you can search for instructions online according to the web browser you're using. I'm using Google Chrome at the moment, for example. 

Just to clarify now, you're having an issue with accessing recent edits from others on files that were shared with you through shared links - is that correct @chetkozl

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

chetkozl
Explorer | Level 3

No, that's not correct. I review films. Producers post press kits on Dropbox. the links they send me lead me not to their material but defaults to an obsolete page, the same page with every different link. As I told you, I followed the instructions but was unable to empty the cache.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Your issue is still not entirely clear to us, @chetkozl.

By old page, do you mean a specific page of a preview of a file or folder that is stored in your account, for example?

If you're having trouble clearing your browser's cache, can you please try from a different browser or a private browsing/incognito window and let us know what you see there? 

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

chetkozl
Explorer | Level 3

I don't know how better to explain.

I review films and producers regularly post press materials on Dropbox.

I regularly access them there. I need them for reviews.

Recently, when I go to my Dropbox account, I get the page below.

When I use their direct link, I get the page below. I know they've posted.

Maybe my account is corrupted? How can I get rid of it and start all over again?

I'd appreciate talking to someone by phone. [personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines].

I try accessing https://www.dropbox.com/personal/GHOSTS%20OF%20THE%20VOID.

Chet

Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 9.47.20 AM.png

 

Rich
Super User II

@chetkozl wrote:

I try accessing https://www.dropbox.com/personal/GHOSTS%20OF%20THE%20VOID.

That's not a valid shared link. Instead of creating an actual shared link, they just copied the URL from the address bar of their browser. Such a URL will only work for the owner. You need to go back to the owner and ask them for a valid link.

And the reason it keeps showing you the same page is that the link is trying to open that folder in your own account, is unable to find it, so it just shows you your main Dropbox page.

chetkozl
Explorer | Level 3

The original link they provided sent me there, too. Then they sent the proprietary link I sent you.

Okay, we'll see if the next one happens the same way. Many reviewers use these links so they must be working for somebody.

Thanks.

Chet K

Rich
Super User II

@chetkozl wrote:

The original link they provided sent me there, too.

What does the original link look like? Scramble a few of the characters in the link so it doesn't actually work, then post it here.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    chetkozl Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?