cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Backup from Dropbox to External HD

Backup from Dropbox to External HD

rymanbugs
Helpful | Level 6

I’d like to backup the entire contents of my large Dropbox account to an external hard drive. What is the best way to do this?

Considerations:

1. I have a complex web of folders and files, some of which are online-only and not. I’d like to keep the current setting of which are online-only and which are not. Syncing down in batches and copy-pasting onto the external is therefore not ideal.
  2. Backup methods like Time Machine don’t do much good with stub files like Dropbox’s online-only files.
  3. The size of my Dropbox contents exceeds the capacity of my local hard drive, so I can’t use it as a “middle-man”.
  4. There are apparently download limits on Dropbox web, so I don’t think I can just download it all directly to an external hard drive.
  5. One idea would be to make a new user on my Mac, sign into Dropbox, set the folder to the external HD, and sync everything down, but this seems risky and janky…

Any ideas appreciated!

22 Replies 22

Rich
Super User II

Use something like Cyberduck/Mountain Duck or CloudMounter to mount Dropbox as a drive, then copy from there direct to your external.

Bourne Group
New member | Level 2

THANK YOU!!!!

I used the Cloud Mounter!

smekuria
New member | Level 2

I am also very surprised to find that I can't get my files out of Dropbox to travel with them on my backup drive. It is like they are in cloud prison and I have to work hard to get them out. There has to be a simpler way to access my own files for whose rent I pay a good amount of money to Dropbox!! Why should backup be a one way only street?

Need more support?