cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Backup from Dropbox to External HD

Backup from Dropbox to External HD

rymanbugs
Helpful | Level 6

I’d like to backup the entire contents of my large Dropbox account to an external hard drive. What is the best way to do this?

Considerations:

1. I have a complex web of folders and files, some of which are online-only and not. I’d like to keep the current setting of which are online-only and which are not. Syncing down in batches and copy-pasting onto the external is therefore not ideal.
  2. Backup methods like Time Machine don’t do much good with stub files like Dropbox’s online-only files.
  3. The size of my Dropbox contents exceeds the capacity of my local hard drive, so I can’t use it as a “middle-man”.
  4. There are apparently download limits on Dropbox web, so I don’t think I can just download it all directly to an external hard drive.
  5. One idea would be to make a new user on my Mac, sign into Dropbox, set the folder to the external HD, and sync everything down, but this seems risky and janky…

Any ideas appreciated!

22 Replies 22

michelle32
New member | Level 2

Any luck yet? I am also wanting to back up all my files directly onto an external hard drive. My computer doesn't have space to download everything to copy and paste over

Mark
Super User II

@michelle32 wrote:

Any luck yet? I am also wanting to back up all my files directly onto an external hard drive. My computer doesn't have space to download everything to copy and paste over

Dropbox does not have this functionality. Sorry.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

julianskipworth
Explorer | Level 4

I know this topic has been partially covered before but it still astounds me that with a Dropbox Business account there is no way of exporting and backing up all of our data directly to an external SSD? Syncing locally first is not an option due to the amount of data, and downloading direct to the drive is also not possible due to the 250 GB limit on downloads. Seems crazy! Has anyone found a workaround? For a "business" product it's just not good enough...

I was using CloudAlly for a bit as our main form of backup but they've jacked up their prices not for Dropbox.

Thanks,
J

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @julianskipworth, thanks for reaching out to our Community.

Do you have a Windows or a Mac computer? If it's a Mac, are you using File Provider?

I've also moved your post to a thread with info relevant to your query, so you can take a look as well.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

julianskipworth
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Hannah - Windows please

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @julianskipworth, since we don't currently have this exact feature you're asking for, I'd suggest Dropbox Backup.

It's work taking a closer look into this, and seeing if it'd suit your needs. Otherwise the alternative would be to indeed sync your content locally, and then move them to your SSD.

In any case, I'll forward your feedback to the appropriate areas so we can continue to improve.

Thank you!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

IT Operations 202
New member | Level 2

I have been a business Dropbox user for 6+ years.  I find it absolutely absurd that DropBox cannot support a simple task such as being able to easily copy (we are talking about cutting and pasting!) MY Dropbox files from MY Dropbox online account or from my computer.  That ludicrous to ask a user to copy their files in batches just to accomplish a simple task like this.  I feel like DropBox is holding MY FILES hostage.  

sl14
New member | Level 2

I am trying to do this exact thing, and your suggestions are excellent. Did you ever find a good method of backing up dropbox onto an external drive?

Thank you

rymanbugs
Helpful | Level 6
No there doesn’t seem to have been any satisfactory feature implemented to support this yet :(((

ssalenger
New member | Level 2

I am also looking for a solution to physically back up my entire Dropbox without being able to use my Mac as a middle-man. I guess I will try to do batches but an automated option seems like functionality that should exist for paying users. 

Need more support?