cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Backup from Dropbox to External HD

Backup from Dropbox to External HD

rymanbugs
Helpful | Level 6

I’d like to backup the entire contents of my large Dropbox account to an external hard drive. What is the best way to do this?

Considerations:

1. I have a complex web of folders and files, some of which are online-only and not. I’d like to keep the current setting of which are online-only and which are not. Syncing down in batches and copy-pasting onto the external is therefore not ideal.
  2. Backup methods like Time Machine don’t do much good with stub files like Dropbox’s online-only files.
  3. The size of my Dropbox contents exceeds the capacity of my local hard drive, so I can’t use it as a “middle-man”.
  4. There are apparently download limits on Dropbox web, so I don’t think I can just download it all directly to an external hard drive.
  5. One idea would be to make a new user on my Mac, sign into Dropbox, set the folder to the external HD, and sync everything down, but this seems risky and janky…

Any ideas appreciated!

22 Replies 22

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @rymanbugs, thanks for posting to the Dropbox Community today.

At the moment, there's no direct way to back up the contents of your Dropbox to your external drive.

With the new Dropbox for macOS app, the Dropbox folder is saved to ~/Library/CloudStorage and cannot be moved somewhere else.

If you don't have the space to make all your files available offline, to copy them to your external drive, a workaround would be to download your files in batches from the website and then move them there.

You can also use selective sync, to choose which folders to sync, make them available offline and then copy them to your external drive.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rymanbugs
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Hannah, thank you for your quick reply!

I can't use the selective sync method for the reasons (1 & 3) stated in the original post. 

I can probably download in batches, but some folders are heavier than others, and I foresee a headache coming as to keeping track of what's been downloaded, reorganizing in the final place in the external hard drive, etc.

This issue would be solved by 1 of the following potential features:

• Keep the download limit off Dropbox.com. However, allow a mass-download; simply breakup the files programmatically on Dropbox’s end into separate zip file of max size determined by you. Or download in split RAR files, max size determined by you.
  • A feature of Dropbox Backup, but allowing the reverse: instead of backup from external, allowing backing up to external from Dropbox.

Would DB be willing to consider one of these features @Hannah ?

I love Dropbox, but we all know it's a good idea to have backups in multiple places. With Selective Sync, and running my work/life out of my Dropbox folder, it makes it almost impossible to routinely back up to some other place (preferably physical).

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @rymanbugs, and sorry for jumping in.

I’ve sent your feedback on this to our team, so that they can see your suggestions and take them into account in the future.  

If you need something else, I’ll be around the Community!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rymanbugs
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks, Nancy!

rferretti
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @rymanbugs,

have you been able to find a solution for this? I have a similar situation and  would like to create an additional backup on an external HD. I find it strange that Dropbox does not offer a solution.

rymanbugs
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @rferretti 

No solution yet. I also find it strange, considering a big part of DB’s value to customers lies in backups.

MarkyMark1
New member | Level 2

I am also looking to backup from my Dropbox account straight to an external hard drive. 

Johngcolejr
Helpful | Level 5

I have the same issue.  Any resolutions yet?

MarkyMark1
New member | Level 2

no - still waiting. may have to try another service. 

Need more support?