cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup EVERYTHING to external hard drive on Mac

Backup EVERYTHING to external hard drive on Mac

BDGeorgia
Helpful | Level 5

I have a professional account with about 2TB of data that includes folders on my iMac and online-only folders as well.  I want to backup ALL of this information to an external hard drive and need some help/advice please.  Clearly, DB does not include a feature to do this (which is completely unsatisfactory).   Additionally, now that Apple has restricted the location of my Dropbox folder, I cannot use an external drive as the primary location which would enable me to have a copy of everything locally.

Who has solved this problem and would you kindly share your solution.  I do not want to leave Dropbox after nearly ten years but this is a deal-breaker for me. 

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @BDGeorgia, thanks for messaging the Community.

Aside from manually downloading files and folders from the site directly onto the external drive, there isn't another method to do so on a Mac device.

I'll leave this thread open for other users to post their suggestions.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

BDGeorgia
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the feedback Jay.  So DROPBOX, why don't you fix this situation for your clients?  I cannot be the only one who wants and needs this type of feature/capability.  Thanks!

dd_nvidia
New member | Level 2

it's not possible using Apple's APIs on the newer OS to do this without doing it on a bodged kind of way.

Personally, i was thinking of maybe setting up a VM in MacOS and having dropbox run in the VM on either an older MacOS version or some other OS with a version of dropbox that does support sync, have the external drive shared as a "network drive" somehow maybe that could maybe allow native usb interface with my main host machine running MacOS 13 as well as the VM - that way the VM does the syncing and the file structure sits as is on the drive for the host system to read/edit.

This would be a terrible idea for battery life and especially optimising performance - but VMs are quick to suspend and start again so yeah, that's the idea i've got to fix atm until Dropbox maybe come up with something more elegant 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dd_nvidia New member | Level 2
    BDGeorgia Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?