cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: auto-update version of the opened file

Android: auto-update version of the opened file

Stach
New member | Level 2

Hi the community,

I use Samsung tablets (Android) in our bulldozers on which we've got Dropbox installed.

On them, our workers received a secured Excel file updated each time a truck is incoming or outgoing of our yard.

By the past, when the file was opened and the device was in sleep mode, we just have to wake the device and the new version of the file (if available) replace automatically the previous version on the screen without quitting the file.

Since some weeks, that's not the case anymore...

Now, we've to close the file and Dropbox, then re-open Dropbox and the file to obtain the new version of the file !

What's the reason of this change of behaviour ? Is this coming from Dropbox or from Android ?

Do you have any tip to give me to restore the previous situation ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Stach 😉

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @Stach, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please let us know the exact OS version(s) of your devices and the version of the Dropbox mobile app installed there as well?

Have you tried clearing the app's cache at all since you first noticed this?

Also, does offlining the files improve matters for you at all?

Keep us posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Stach
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your reply !

On the tablet:
Dropbox 330.2.2   /   One UI 5.1   /  Android 13   /   TP1A.220624.014.T636BXXS2BWD2

On my mobile (facing the same issue...):
Dropbox 332.2.2   /   One UI 5.1   /  Android 13   /   TP1A.220624.014.G781BXXS5HWD4

I tried to clear the cache but nothing change...

Offlining the file will not help I think because I need constant update of my file...

Do you think downgrading Dropbox (or Android ?) may help to solve my problem ?

If yes, how can I do ?

Thanks again,

Stach 😉

Stach
New member | Level 2

Hi again,

The issue is coming from the Dropbox version !

I desintalled Dropbox, used the app Uptodown and dowloaded on their website a previous version of Dropbox (309.1.4)

Now, when I wake up my mobile, Dropbox load automatically the new version of my file 🙂

I will try to spend a few time to find from which version the issue is coming from and keep you in touch.

I hope Dropbox will produce a patch in the further versions !

Best regards,

Stach 😉

Stach
New member | Level 2

I made some trials this morning, the last version letting the files versions update automatically was Dropbox 317.1.2 (14/02/23).

@Dropbox Team: please could check the issue to fix it for the next releases ?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Stach 😉

rharter_dbx
Dropbox Engineer

Hi Stach!

I'm Ryan, a developer on the Dropbox Android app. I'm sorry your're running into this issue, I'll do my best to help you resolve it.

If you wouldn't mind, I've got a few questions to help me understand the situation you're seeing.

1. Can you please tell me how you're opening the spreadsheet? Tapping a file in a folder in the app will open a preview for normal spreadsheets. You mentioned that this is a "secure" spreadsheet, which I take to mean it's a password protected spreadsheet, which isn't something we preview in app. Does that mean you open the spreadsheet in the Microsoft Excel app, or am I misunderstanding something?

2. When the file is updated, you mention having to close the Dropbox app and reopen it to get the updates. If you're previewing the file and back out of that, you should also be able to pull to refresh in the folder view to get any changes. While not a solution, does that work for you? When backing out of the preview do you see anything like "modified 30 seconds ago" on the file?

Again, I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this, but I'm hopeful that we can get to the bottom of whats happening to get your business running smoothly again.

Best,

Ryan Harter

Staff Android Engineer

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rharter_dbx Dropbox Engineer
    Stach New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?