cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Advanced search based on key phrases

Advanced search based on key phrases

rthrech
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I seriously need advanced searching. 

Dropbox used to have these features (like search exact phrase) in 2015, but somehow removed them. 

So how can I do advanced searching in dropbox?
Like:

List files with age between x and y
Contain the phrase "a b c"
are of type *.pdf

49 Replies 49

Luke Zero
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Adding my voice to this. I'm a paid subscriber, use dropbox all the time, and the lack of search functionality is ridiculous. 

oversampled
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yep. Peeved about this. Let me search by extension. I want to find every file with a given extension in the Deleted Items area. I could do what I'm trying to do in ten seconds if I could type ".[file extension]" into the search bar and find every instance. Fix it please, don't make us vote!

dashbrook1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Adding my annoyance at this, since it is such a simple thing to implement that would make dropbox hugely more useful. My company are trying to push us towards OneDrive / SharePoint, and this is pushing me towards making the effort of transitioning. 

j0e
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Adding my voice to this one. Super frustrating. 

j4m1eb
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

adding to this - search is pathetic at the moment

LeslieL
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

We have a paid Dropbox for Business account and I've tried the options listed to perform a specific search and it's not working properly.  I need to find a specific phrase contained inside the documents and when I perform the phrase search, every word within the phrase comes up in the search which is totally useless.  I need to be able to perform a search for a very specific phrase, and the phrase must be exactly as searched.

Please help..... 

LeslieL
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

DITTO.  Same problem here. This is a huge problem for us.

LeslieL
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Its 2023 now ----- Where is the resolution to advanced searching?

j4m1eb
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Simple Boolean search is all that is needed, it's totally ridiculous.

trying to find "registered office" in my files and get results for "office" registered" and even "register" - Useless

SearchIsWorthless
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I don't even want "advanced" search or booleans - I just want search! Today I searched for "died". I got every file that has the text "di" in it. E.g. thousands of files. Completely worthless.

Need more support?