cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does "Manage hard drive space" show that my Dropbox is 245GB, when it's 2GB in total?

Why does "Manage hard drive space" show that my Dropbox is 245GB, when it's 2GB in total?

callmejam
New member | Level 2

Currently, it says there are 193GB "other hard drive space used" occupying total of 245GB space (but my Basic account should only give me 2GB?) - see screenshot

callmejam_0-1721706598022.png

I have deleted all of the backups on Dropbox - see attached

callmejam_1-1721706671666.png

I have also deleted and re-installed Dropbox app on my Mac, but it still shows 193GB "other hard drive space used".

The actual size of files stored in my Dropbox account are only 598MB, as shown in dark blue in the first screenshot. 

callmejam_3-1721707180348.jpg

I have selected "Available offline" in response to "how do you want to store new files?" under Preferences/Sync and no Mac backups under Preferences/Backups

Question: Regarding the large size of "other hard drive space used", I'm wondering if it's related to Dropbox files and if takes up my total of 2.25GB Dropbox storage?

1 Reply 1

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @callmejam, thanks for posting on our Community today!

The 245.11GB of space you’re seeing under the “Manage hard drive space” tool should be the total amount of space of your hard drive, from which Dropbox takes up 598MB (indicated by the dark blue color). 

193GB is the total space that’s currently being used on your hard drive, not just by Dropbox, but from other files as well that don’t exist in your Dropbox folder/account. 

This feature was generally developed to give you a better idea of how much hard drive space Dropbox takes in comparison to the rest of your computer files, so that you can decide if you need to make your Dropbox files online-only or not. 

Hope this clarifies things a bit. 

For any other questions though, I’ll be here.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?