cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage concern

Storage concern

John23_15
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My client shared his Dropbox with me. The issue is that my client is subscribed to a large storage plan, but I am receiving notifications that my storage is full. This seems incorrect, as I am uploading files to my client's Dropbox. Why is it affecting my Dropbox storage? I am hesitant to delete any files, as I have no way to identify whether the files are on my client's Dropbox or mine.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@John23_15 wrote:

This seems incorrect, as I am uploading files to my client's Dropbox. Why is it affecting my Dropbox storage?

You're not uploading to your client's Dropbox. You're uploading to a shared folder that exists in your account and syncs with your client's account. Because the folder exists in your account, it takes up space in your account.

If you don't need access to the files you're uploading after they're uploading, ask your client to send you a File Request instead. You'll be able to upload directly to their account, but you won't have access to the files you upload.

I am hesitant to delete any files, as I have no way to identify whether the files are on my client's Dropbox or mine.

In a shared folder, if you delete a file, it's deleted for all members of the share.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@John23_15 wrote:

This seems incorrect, as I am uploading files to my client's Dropbox. Why is it affecting my Dropbox storage?

You're not uploading to your client's Dropbox. You're uploading to a shared folder that exists in your account and syncs with your client's account. Because the folder exists in your account, it takes up space in your account.

If you don't need access to the files you're uploading after they're uploading, ask your client to send you a File Request instead. You'll be able to upload directly to their account, but you won't have access to the files you upload.

I am hesitant to delete any files, as I have no way to identify whether the files are on my client's Dropbox or mine.

In a shared folder, if you delete a file, it's deleted for all members of the share.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?