cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: OUT of space

Out of space due to a shared folder?

Rocks34
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi im using the dropbox free (2gb storage) but what i noticed is that it says 2 gig personal storage. but now my personal storage usage is about 0.8gig and a other folder shared to me is about 1.6 gig. so I do not understand that my files will not upload and dropbox is telling me storage is full. does this mean that the advertise personal storage is not 2gb but it is a overall 2gb storage?. 

scenario...

my friend has a 1tb storage but sharing a folder of 30gb to me. i wont be able to add a single 10kb file due to the storage that I can view is only 2gb?

i would like if someone can explain this to me as I'm not smart enough and will appreciate the help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rocks34 wrote:

... i noticed is that it says 2 gig personal storage. but now my personal storage usage is about 0.8gig and a other folder shared to me is about 1.6 gig. so I do not understand that my files will not upload and dropbox is telling me storage is full.

Files shared with you exist in your account, so they take up space just like any other file.

my friend has a 1tb storage but sharing a folder of 30gb to me. i wont be able to add a single 10kb file due to the storage that I can view is only 2gb?

Correct. You wouldn't be able to add that folder to your Dropbox as it exceeds your available space. If you just need to upload files to someone else, ask them to send you a File Request instead.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rocks34 wrote:

... i noticed is that it says 2 gig personal storage. but now my personal storage usage is about 0.8gig and a other folder shared to me is about 1.6 gig. so I do not understand that my files will not upload and dropbox is telling me storage is full.

Files shared with you exist in your account, so they take up space just like any other file.

Correct. You wouldn't be able to add that folder to your Dropbox as it exceeds your available space. If you just need to upload files to someone else, ask them to send you a File Request instead.

Rocks34
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ah ok thank you!!! 

I thought correct then something in that line. thanks again for clearing the exact reason

sridharkaza
New member | Level 2

this is a terrible product experience.

I am working with a contractor who shared some audio files with me for a small project, and now i can't use the product to sync anything anymore. i'll just go back to using google drive which doesn't penalize me for having access to other people's data.

Need more support?