cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No additional space on Business Advanced

No additional space on Business Advanced

ggtello
Helpful | Level 6

Dear community,

I'm here to advice that the support have been denying us additional space for two weeks, first telling us that there was a momentary problem, then that we had made a request before the 7 days, then again (after waiting 7 days) that there is a problem which however is not written by Nowhere.

We're really worried about that because they don't give us any timelines and the fact that the problem doesn't exist on the dropbox status page and that nobody else talks about it seems a bit suspicious.

I don't like writing these posts but we are really worried don't you think? Are any of you having similar problems? do they only have it with us?

615 Replies 615

Niitr0
Experienced | Level 12
@ HWG-1
these are the same rules as on dropbox

Niitr0
Experienced | Level 12
Pcloud has not offered unlimited storage recently unfortunately.

OfficeInCT
Collaborator | Level 9

Touche, sorry forgot that part. Least they let you buy additional storage, though again, that's more for document storage, not trying to store Terabytes of files. 

Shamrock22
Helpful | Level 7

"Unlimited" in a reasonable fashion would be very doable. 

By that i mean if you really need 1 Petabyte high available hot storage, then you need obiously to put more money into it. 

Afaik hosting 1 Petabyte is half a rack nowadays. You won't get half a rack including the hardware for the price Dropbox wants here obviously.

But couple Terabytes a week is very reasonable and after couple years you also reach your Petabyte maybe but by that time the disks are cheaper. 

When i looked at used Datacenter-Disks they want around 15$ for a 6TB Disk. With Profit. So for such a big datacenter-provider we talking here maybe about 0,5$ per TB as raw costs - declining.

When you then factor in deduplication, compression and what not - this is viable imo.

Niitr0
Experienced | Level 12
I don't need petabytes, I use around 60 TB per year

HWG-1
Collaborator | Level 10

@OfficeInCT 

Box.com is not a big provider and have a hard API Limit. That is a problem.

But I think, that's where most customers are currently switching to.

And more customers bring more money to expand the infrastructure.

Dropbox wants us as customers apparently no longer keep. 🙁

OfficeInCT
Collaborator | Level 9

@Shamrock22  Agree. As you state, HDD's are cheap now and they can be packed into a rack. Seems like Dropbox marketing put the cart before the engineering team built out their infrastructure. Doesn't excuse the lack of communication and failure to live up to their end of the contract. 

@HWG-1 thanks for the info about Box. Cool to see the pieces of knowledge that each person has come together. 

cgi_ltd
Collaborator | Level 10
We switched to Box with 5 users. Their API is no where near as fast as DB, but all of us average about 40-50 / MB/s (500 mbps). While not as fast, we have over 200TB stored on their platform now with no issues. One thing you will probably have to do with Box tho, is setup rclone's chunker, since each plan has a different single file size limit. However, once mounted with rclone, it sees them as 1 file, and I can stream from the mount. So it's "OK". It will take longer to get your data uploaded with the slower API, but they seem to be ingesting our data just fine.

HWG-1
Collaborator | Level 10
It's not about going too slow, Box have a Limit from 25.000/50.000/100.000 API accessed.

Niitr0
Experienced | Level 12
Does Sync.com have an API limit?
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dsucx New member | Level 2
    Mrleosir1 New member | Level 2
    OfficeInCT Collaborator | Level 9
    dropby Helpful | Level 6
    ggtello Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?