cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No additional space on Business Advanced

No additional space on Business Advanced

ggtello
Helpful | Level 6

Dear community,

I'm here to advice that the support have been denying us additional space for two weeks, first telling us that there was a momentary problem, then that we had made a request before the 7 days, then again (after waiting 7 days) that there is a problem which however is not written by Nowhere.

We're really worried about that because they don't give us any timelines and the fact that the problem doesn't exist on the dropbox status page and that nobody else talks about it seems a bit suspicious.

I don't like writing these posts but we are really worried don't you think? Are any of you having similar problems? do they only have it with us?

615 Replies 615

Tomato2515
Explorer | Level 4

Nope, it was all the people running Plex servers migrating hundreds and hundreds of TB of data from Google Drive to Dropbox. You think Dropbox doesn't have monitoring setup to see what is going on their servers?

You all did this to yourselves. 😘

M3th0s
Helpful | Level 6

I don't get it.

Why are you here Tomato2515? You yourself have said you have no Dropbox account and yet, went out of your way to do all this investigation (allegedly) and post to a dropbox forum just to piss people off.

Imagine, having that much free time you go out of your way just to annoy people. What a sad little life.

On the other matter, yes some people will have legitimate business requirements, so who are you to guess at these? Mass ban? Wow, aren't you smart.

To all other users of this thread, here's hoping dropbox get their stuff together and this is just temporary issue.

Have a good day everyone

yossarian82
Helpful | Level 6
What is really infuriating is that they can't even provide a solution to it. They say that there should be "storage packages" to buy but no one on support team can point to these packages anywhere. They just paste the url dropbox.com/plans where is nowhere to be find (but you can actually still read "as much space as needed"). I would like to know more about these packages and the cost of them but we're stuck in this situation, unable to use Dropbox and without any hint on what's coming.
What is wrong with you Dropbox?

Shamrock22
Helpful | Level 7

I would wait for some official announcement. Yesterday this forum was brigaded by redditors and spammers. It might be very well the case that they have invented this 1TB/month and the thing with the ‚plans‘ just to troll and/or hurt Dropbox on behalf of their interests. 

Also @dropbox-Team:

This here is the support-forum.

Dropbox should change their policy and limit the access to it to people that have actually (business-)accounts.
I have no time playing around with little children like Tomato who don‘t know anything of the world and do not even have accounts here.
This is not a playground and i am not in school anymore.

This is business-environment. Please act accordingly.  

Addendum:

I yesterday thought a bit about this problem and a solution and actually it doesn't seem to be that hard.

When we make the assumption that these trolls are right and there is a big group of people hoarding pirated content,

then you should urgently try to make it so that you _can use_ deduplication on your service.

It wouldn't matter anymore.

At the moment i suspect that you take a single file and mirror it do different locations so that access-times all over the world are adequate. 

That means it is indeed possible that MovieX is hundreds of times mirrored on your arrays and just wasting space. 

What you could do, but you would need to change your clients a bit, is to take a file in the client before it is been uploaded, calculate the hash of it and encrypt it with the hash. The encryptionkey/hash is stored in client.

That means that you as Dropbox-Service effectively don't know the contents of the files, because they are encrypted on your disks, but if there is MovieX which has always same hash, it will result in same crypted file which you can deduplicate. 

I still don't know if this is really necessary, because i really don't believe there is actually _a lot of people_ doing this, but such little technical changes could help a bit. 

Also i yesterday read often the case of these trolls that there "is no unlimited"-offer. Which is kind of right, but also not. The real limit is the bandwith you can upload and download from DP. Afaik the Dropbox-API is also limited to certain hits per hour/per minute (i don't know exactly) and this is again limited per user afaik. So this is not "really unlimited", but "enough unlimited" for the use-case most people use it for. 

Of course you cannot mirror the whole internet into your dropbox-account. Not only because of space constraints but because you cannot transfer the files fast enough to keep up with the growth of the Internet. 

Another solution would be maybe to contact rclone-team and ask them to implement such thing as "cloud-media-encryption-light" or whatever.

Which takes binaries (video, audio and what not) and encrypts them in such a way that the resulting file can also be deduplicated by you on filesystem-basis. Maybe by just encrypting the headers or use the hash as mentioned above. Not everyone might use it. But if 'some' do, this should free up a lot of capacity on your service = more $$$. 

And i don't think that storage-services are obliged by law to (try to) break encryption, even if it is just "pseudo-encryption".

M3th0s
Helpful | Level 6

The 1TB/month is not an invention and sadly this seems to be the new norm, as me and my team got hit by it. 

As for everything else you've mentioned, if encryption is indeed being used then deduping is not possible.

homeagent
Helpful | Level 6

M3th0s
Helpful | Level 6

But of course he did, further proving my assertion that he surely has no such thing as a life 🙂

pete_
Helpful | Level 6

have to fully agree with @Shamrock22, posting here in the company support forum should be limited to dropbox customers.

maybe a moderator could clean the thread and remove the spam messages plus block the user from continue spamming here as a non-customer.

this would make it easier for paying customers to find solutions for their actual issues and problems.

Rich
Super User II

@pete_ wrote:

posting here in the company support forum should be limited to dropbox customers.

It is. You need to have a Dropbox account in order to sign in to the Community, but anyone can create a Dropbox account. The Community is the primary means of support for free accounts, so they can't be blocked.

I'm watching the thread and will take action if things get out of hand again.

Eldon McGuinness
Collaborator | Level 9

As an IT administrator with substantial experience using Dropbox both as a business owner and as a consultant for various companies, I feel compelled to address certain misconceptions that have been circulating in this forum.

First and foremost, I would like to clarify that Dropbox was indeed purpose-built as a cloud-based storage solution, contrary to some statements made here. Its fundamental function is to enable users to securely store, access, and share files and data across devices seamlessly. While discussions about other features, such as Plex integration, might arise, my focus remains on highlighting Dropbox's core identity as a storage service. Recent adjustments to the service's growth rate limitations have indeed impacted regular businesses, including my own and those of my clients. It is crucial to acknowledge that these changes have raised concerns and introduced challenges for enterprises relying on Dropbox for their data backup and storage requirements.

For instance, complying with the new growth rate restrictions compelled me to modify offsite backup schedules to ensure compliance with the allowed limits. This was previously not an issue, leading to additional work both for myself and the companies I support. Furthermore, I am aware of numerous website owners who heavily depend on Dropbox accounts for backing up their snapshots. Unfortunately, they too have been adversely affected by these changes, causing difficulties in maintaining Dropbox as their primary backup solution.

While I cannot delve into the intricacies of Plex-related matters, as I have no idea how/why it is causing an issue, I can state that the changes to Dropbox's growth rate have tangibly impacted daily business operations. It is disconcerting to observe that some individuals in this forum are engaging in harassment towards other users, regardless of their specific use cases. As a paying business customer, I hope Dropbox will take necessary actions to steer the conversation towards a more constructive and respectful direction.

I urge all participants in this post, and those related, to exercise self-control and practice moderation in their discussions. It is essential to recognize that this issue affects a considerable number of users, many of whom are legitimate businesses. Let us approach the matter with understanding and empathy, fostering a productive environment to find solutions that benefit the entire community.

Edit by Moderator: Emphasis mine.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dsucx New member | Level 2
    Mrleosir1 New member | Level 2
    OfficeInCT Collaborator | Level 9
    dropby Helpful | Level 6
    ggtello Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?