cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a plan, that allows me to use Dropbox just for storage, without syncing?

Is there a plan, that allows me to use Dropbox just for storage, without syncing?

Creativedialogue
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I cannot find an option amongst Dropbox plans to use Dropbox just for storage, no sync, no duplication on Mac HD just Cloud storage. Is that possible?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Creativedialogue wrote:

I do not want files occupying space on my internal hard drive, I want to upload files to a Cloud storage system. I do not need to sync them with my hard drive, just create folders on a virtual drive with fast access. ... How does Dropbox offer that, which plan, where are the instructions to set it up?

Simple, it doesn't.

Dropbox is a file synchronization service, first and foremost. The only way to do what you want with Dropbox would be to utilize Smart Sync and/or Selective Sync, but that will not result in a "cloud drive" or folder that directly links to your account online. It will still be a folder on your computer and anything you place in it will take up local drive space, at least until you remove it manually using Smart Sync or Selective Sync.

In short, Dropbox isn't meant for what you're trying to do. There are third-party applications (CloudMounter, NetDrive, etc.) that you can buy which will help accomplish that with Dropbox, but then you're paying for two different services.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

👍 Very good question @Creativedialogue! 😉 And... you can see what Dropbox thinks about here. 😡🤦 That's it. 🤷 Unfortunately!

Creativedialogue
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It is a simple question because it is so obvious! Sync files is easy, iCloud does it for every Mac user already. As far as I can tell none of the Dropbox competition offers this virtual drive solution, and 'select sync' is not a complete solution. The thread you reference goes back 2 years, people asking for this. So, Dropbox management/shareholders, what's the answer?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Creativedialogue, welcome to our Community! 

Essentially, the easiest way for you to achieve that would be to use our purely our website, without installing the app. 

If you want to use the app, you can do this without using the backup feature, since it's not mandatory. However, the app exists to do just that: syncing content between your Dropbox folder, and the web. 

Selective sync is another way you can go on about it as you said. I am assuming based on what you mentioned, that you're already using it, right? If so, what makes this inconvenient for you? 

I hope this clarifies. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Megan wrote:

..., you can do this without syncing your backup content, ...

@Megan, "without syncing" and "backup" (means Dropbox Backup, seems) in one sentence??? Are you sure? Think again! What Dropbox Backup is and how it works? 🧐😁 A tip/recall question!

Creativedialogue
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you, Megan - I have used Dropbox, and I'm reviewing if it is the right option for me again.

I need some further clarity, because your answer seems at odds with that provided previously. I do not want files occupying space on my internal hard drive, I want to upload files to a Cloud storage system. I do not need to sync them with my hard drive, just create folders on a virtual drive with fast access.

I would like to share them, preferably read/write with a colleague. How does Dropbox offer that, which plan, where are the instructions to set it up?

Thanks!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Creativedialogue wrote:

I do not want files occupying space on my internal hard drive, I want to upload files to a Cloud storage system. I do not need to sync them with my hard drive, just create folders on a virtual drive with fast access. ... How does Dropbox offer that, which plan, where are the instructions to set it up?

Simple, it doesn't.

Dropbox is a file synchronization service, first and foremost. The only way to do what you want with Dropbox would be to utilize Smart Sync and/or Selective Sync, but that will not result in a "cloud drive" or folder that directly links to your account online. It will still be a folder on your computer and anything you place in it will take up local drive space, at least until you remove it manually using Smart Sync or Selective Sync.

In short, Dropbox isn't meant for what you're trying to do. There are third-party applications (CloudMounter, NetDrive, etc.) that you can buy which will help accomplish that with Dropbox, but then you're paying for two different services.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

... There are third-party applications (CloudMounter, NetDrive, etc.) that you can buy which will help accomplish that with Dropbox, but then you're paying for two different services.

@Creativedialogue, what @Rich says is one option (drawback - as he noted - additional paying). Other option is choosing different cloud service providing virtual block device by default. Most present day Dropbox competitors, provide such (pCloud for instance). 😉

Hope this helps.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Rich Super User II
    Creativedialogue Helpful | Level 5
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?