cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to Stop files from saving into my personal storage ?

How to stop shared Dropbox files from taking up my personal hard drive space?

Siine
Explorer | Level 3

I am not the owner of a shared folder . I only have editing access. I only add files into the shared folder, but now the shared folder is eating up space in my personal storage space. I have made all files offline but my Dropbox personal storage is still being used up. 
How can i still have access to the shared folders but not have them saved to my personal storage ?

I need the files that I upload to the shared folder to be transferred to the shared folder's owners storage and not my personal storage. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@Siine wrote:

How can i still have access to the shared folders but not have them saved to my personal storage ?

If you're a member of a shared folder, you have your own copy of the folder in your account taking up space. Anything in the folder, along with anything you add, is actually in your account and syncs back to all the other members. You're not uploading directly to someone else's account.

If you require edit access, there's no easy easy way around it. You could ask for a view-only shared link to download the files you need, and a File Request to upload files back to their account, but that can be a pain to manage.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@Siine wrote:

If you're a member of a shared folder, you have your own copy of the folder in your account taking up space. Anything in the folder, along with anything you add, is actually in your account and syncs back to all the other members. You're not uploading directly to someone else's account.

If you require edit access, there's no easy easy way around it. You could ask for a view-only shared link to download the files you need, and a File Request to upload files back to their account, but that can be a pain to manage.

Need more support?