cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove files from my computer but keep them in my Dropbox account?

How do I remove files from my computer but keep them in my Dropbox account?

mcurry
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am out of space on my pc. I would like to delete some of the files in the dropbox on my pc. Will that cause the same files to be deleted in my dropbox storage?  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Fiona M.9 wrote:

To work around this, I'm going to have to set up a separate folder (Selective Sync) and move the files to that folder, correct? Then after making sure it IS synced to Dropbox, I will then choose to selectively sync this folder.

Correct.

Do I then delete this folder entirely until the next time I want to do the same thing?

The folder will be deleted automatically when you save your Selective Sync settings. This is why it's important to make sure it's fully synced BEFORE you uncheck it in Selective Sync.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox will sync any changes you make across all of your devices and your account online. Add a file to Dropbox on your computer and it's added everywhere. Delete a file and it's deleted everywhere.

In order to remove the local copy of a folder from your computer while leaving it in your Dropbox account online, use Selective Sync. Just be sure that the folder in question is fully synced BEFORE you remove it within the Selective Sync options.

Fiona M.9
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is going to be a pain bc I still want the deleted files to stay within the Dropbox folder on Dropbox.com, but I do not want the (large) files to remain on my computer. To work around this, I'm going to have to set up a separate folder (Selective Sync) and move the files to that folder, correct? Then after making sure it IS synced to Dropbox, I will then choose to selectively sync this folder. Do I then delete this folder entirely until the next time I want to do the same thing?

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

jaffa1888
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Would have like a little more free start up space to keep me going

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Fiona M.9 wrote:

To work around this, I'm going to have to set up a separate folder (Selective Sync) and move the files to that folder, correct? Then after making sure it IS synced to Dropbox, I will then choose to selectively sync this folder.

Correct.

Do I then delete this folder entirely until the next time I want to do the same thing?

The folder will be deleted automatically when you save your Selective Sync settings. This is why it's important to make sure it's fully synced BEFORE you uncheck it in Selective Sync.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    jaffa1888 New member | Level 2
    Fiona M.9 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?