cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I share files with other users without affecting my Dropbox quota?

How can I share files with other users without affecting my Dropbox quota?

bshne-acct
New member | Level 2

I have a Dropbox Basic Plan but I belong to a group with multiple individuals. Some of these individuals also have a DB Basic Plan but others have Plans with different storage amounts. HOW do I share files and still keep my storage under 2 GB?

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@bshne-acct wrote:

I have a Dropbox Basic Plan but I belong to a group with multiple individuals. Some of these individuals also have a DB Basic Plan but others have Plans with different storage amounts. HOW do I share files and still keep my storage under 2 GB?

If you're a member of a shared folder, you have your own copy of that folder in your account and it takes up space. You'll only be able to access the share if it fits within the space you have available. If someone puts more data in the folder than you can hold, your account will fill up and syncing will stop until you either upgrade, make room for the folder or remove it from your account.

If someone sends you a view-only shared link, you can access the content without it affecting your own account. If you need to share files with someone without take up space in your account, you can ask the other person to send you a file request.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?