cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden .dropbox_bi folder storing 87GB of files locally!

Hidden .dropbox_bi folder storing 87GB of files locally!

UBG
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, I've just recently set up a new Dropbox Professional account. After installing the desktop app on my Mac I also set up a backup of my external SSD, which completed successfully yesterday.

Standard Dropbox file sync seems to be working fine, and the Dropbox app says everything is up to date, but for some reason I now have a new hidden folder under my Mac user folder called .dropbox_bi. That folder is storing 87GB of files on my primary SSD, apparently related to the 220GB of data backed up from the external SSD.

Is this my life now? Or is there some way to recover that massive waste of precious primary SSD storage space?

90 Replies 90

Rialas
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Unsubscribing.

jepike777
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same.  I also want to know why when I cut and paste items out of my Dropbox (the blue Dropbox icon on my desktop system tray) the files are not removed from my Dropbox dashboard (when viewed from my Chrome tab). I am trying to clean up the Selective Sync nightmare that was created, and make sure I have one and only one copy of everything in 1 place, and resave everything back into Dropbox.  This started YEARS ago, and is a nightmare. 

bocoo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I have this problem ass well. I would appreciate if you could email me so that I ccould get some help with this     Problem. I don't know exactly when it started but it is definitely causing my C drive to be full of  data and I cannot install any new software or and any files. Thanks for your help.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @bocoo, sorry to see you're having this issue.

Which version of the Dropbox app are you using and what's the sync status?

You can see that by hovering over the Dropbox icon in your system tray.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

bocoo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,  thanks for your response. Unfortunately I cannot give you that information as I have my computer repaired, a new hard drive installled for the C drive(One that is fulll now) and I don't have the tiime in my  system tray. I have been accessing my Dropbox  accouunt online because I cannot install anything at all because of a hard drive is showing that it is full. Is there another way to get the informationn that you need? Thanks  again.

jepike777
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
@Hannah My dropbox version is v 165.4.4300. All of my photos files on my desktop are inaccessible. They have the brown file box in the lower left corner. I DO NOT WANT THEM on my desk top to begin with. They are taking up 84 gb of memory on my harddrive. I do not know how to get rid of them off my hard drive without the risk of deleting g them in the online version of my Dropbox. I can't even move them to my external harddrive before to avoid any kind of accident or error. I can't determine if these are saved elsewhere because I CAN'T ACCESS THEM. Please help.

Jean-Marc P
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

After several weeks of exchanges with different people of the Dropbox assistance, my problem has not been solved at all.

My case in a nutshell :

As many of other people, I had a big problem with my local hard drive completely filled in because of Dropbox Backup.
I solved this problem myself and now I have the control back on my own computer.
But I wanted to restart Dropbox Backup since I paid for an extra disk space only for that.
And, although I reconfigured everything, the software is taking days indexing my external disk (something like 30GB a day) but never starts to send files online.
After several contacts with support, I had to re-install Dropbox several times and the problem is not solved at all. The software refuses to send files online.
So this tool is useless and I asked for a refund of the extra disk space since it's useless. Indeed I'll have to use another tool if I want my hard disk to be saved online.

I just received an answer from a Dropbox expert and the provided solution concerns the disk space full. It's not the problem anymore ! So, this person didn't even read my case before answering !!

If you read this forum before using Dropbox Backup, don't use this tool !! It's not working properly !

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @bocoo, you mentioned that you have been accessing Dropbox through the website. 

Is the Dropbox app installed on the repaired device right now, or do you simply use the website on the computer? If so, could you locate your Dropbox icon, next to your WiFi icon, and hover your mouse there? 

Hi @jepike777, you mentioned that you can't access the content, could you clarify a bit more? Where are you not able to access them: online or the app? 

If you wish to remove the content locally, have you tried the selective sync feature, by any chance?  

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

MarcusP73
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi!

I also started migrating all my Data to my new Macbook Pro (M2) yesterday (from Macbook Pro Intel).

Although I had all my files (including the ones in my Dropbox-Folder) transferred via Migration Assistant, Dropbox keeps syncing for hours now and eats up my brandnew Harddisk. 

I also have the hidden ".dropbox_bi" folder in my user folder. It uses more than 1 TB! It seems, that it is syncing the data of an external drive I have. It didn´t do this on my old Macbook and I could not find a way to stop it or deselect any option in the preferences in order to not sync this drive to my local harddisk...

What can I do?

Thank you,

Marcus.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MarcusP73, let's jump right into this! 

Could you clarify the app's syncing status as we speak? 

As for your .dropbox_bi, is this where your external drive content are syncing to? If you access your Backup page, what do you see there? Feel free to send me a few screenshots, so I can have visual too. 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Peter S.137 Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    amengsk New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?