cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden .dropbox_bi folder storing 87GB of files locally!

Hidden .dropbox_bi folder storing 87GB of files locally!

UBG
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, I've just recently set up a new Dropbox Professional account. After installing the desktop app on my Mac I also set up a backup of my external SSD, which completed successfully yesterday.

Standard Dropbox file sync seems to be working fine, and the Dropbox app says everything is up to date, but for some reason I now have a new hidden folder under my Mac user folder called .dropbox_bi. That folder is storing 87GB of files on my primary SSD, apparently related to the 220GB of data backed up from the external SSD.

Is this my life now? Or is there some way to recover that massive waste of precious primary SSD storage space?

90 Replies 90

Peter S.137
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks, @Nancy ... as you suspected, the “.dropbox_bi” folder disappeared when the backup was completed.

But it's not just me that was worried about this. This shouldn't happen because the files are already on the external drive, just like on the local drives, and shouldn't have to be duplicated!?

In any case, I'm glad the whole thing went so smoothly.

Unfortunately there is no reference to a clear solution in this thread. Are everyone affected now satisfied? How did they solve the problem?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Peter S.137 Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    amengsk New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?