cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hidden .dropbox_bi folder storing 87GB of files locally!

Hidden .dropbox_bi folder storing 87GB of files locally!

UBG
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, I've just recently set up a new Dropbox Professional account. After installing the desktop app on my Mac I also set up a backup of my external SSD, which completed successfully yesterday.

Standard Dropbox file sync seems to be working fine, and the Dropbox app says everything is up to date, but for some reason I now have a new hidden folder under my Mac user folder called .dropbox_bi. That folder is storing 87GB of files on my primary SSD, apparently related to the 220GB of data backed up from the external SSD.

Is this my life now? Or is there some way to recover that massive waste of precious primary SSD storage space?

90 Replies 90

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay here.

If you're still having this issue, can you please let us know, so we can send you an email?

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Anwick
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

To give an update on my experience. It seems Dropbox don't know what's going on and everything was a 'try it and see'. 

What seemed to work for us was to update the Mac with the issue to the latest Mac OS. After 36 hours the .dropbox_bi folder was only storing 55Mb. 

Dropbox were helpful in the process but I definitely believe they have no idea why the problem occurs. I wasted many hours on a problem that shouldn't exist.

BlackArtAudio
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, i've had some issues with this when my external drive backup stopped working properly and started downloading everything to the dropbox_bi folder.  I'd appreciate any help you can provide to get it working again.  

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Anwick & @BlackArtAudio, how are you today?

Do you maybe have an existing, open ticket with our Support? If not, shall I reach out to you there?

Thanks!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Dennis11
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the same problem on a larger scale.   My .dropbox_bi file had exceeded 1T and filled the capacity of my Mac internal drive, making my system nearly unusable.   I have an external 10T RAID drive, so I began moving large folders and files to that drive to recover some space on my working drive.   Having cleared out over 80G, I watched while the .dropbox_bi file grew even larger, filling up the hard drive again.   I realized that I had set Dropbox to back up the external RAID drive, but that the contents of the RAID drive now exceeded my 2T dropbox limit.   By moving more files from my Mac drive onto the RAID drive, I was making the problem worse.   It appeared that Dropbox was using the .dropbox_bi file to temporarily store changes to my RAID drive when it was unable to save them on my Dropbox space.   I contacted Dropbox sales and coughed up the money to expand to 3T.   The RAID backup restarted almost immediately.   When it successfully finished, the .dropbox_bi file had gone from 1T to 27G.   Problem solved.

JSA73
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is all very frustrating. I am only using 266GBs of 2TB on Dropbox, but still have this .dropbox_bi folder that seemly appeared overnight (wasn't an issue yesterday) that's 202GBs in size. How does @dropbox not know what the problem is? 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @JSA73, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Would you like me to send you an email to have a further look into this matter in more detail?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

JSA73
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Walter. I reached out to Dropbox via chat yesterday and opened a ticket. I was told that this is being looked into, but confirmed that it has something to do (in my case, anyway) with my recent addition of an external drive. Thanks for the response. Hopefully this is something that can be resolved quickly.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update and note that you can let me know your ticket ID so that I can look it up in our system too @JSA73 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

JSA73
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Walter. It's #19660276

Need more support?