cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to set up folders for Desktop and Documents on Mac (iCloud Drive)

Unable to set up folders for Desktop and Documents on Mac (iCloud Drive)

oklahoma9
New member | Level 2

Hello, 

'Unable to set up folders' is an error message I'm getting after I try, well, to set up folders on Mac.

Steps to reproduce: Settings – Backups – This Mac Manage backups – Check Documents folder – Continue with Basic (Yes, continue) – x folders with issues.

While I am able to backup folders not synced by iCloud Drive, such as ~/Public or ~/ Downloads (see screenshots below).

'Symbolic links can't be followed' is an error message I'm getting when using ln -s ~/Documents. I may be wrong but this worked some time ago.

Moving Dropbox folder to iCloud Drive location isn't allowed because of Apple ban or some other reason. I've tried creating the folder named differently and it didn't work for me. Source: https://www.cultofmac.com/643192/dropbox-folder-icloud-drive/

Getting documents to be synced by both iCloud Drive and Dropbox is what I am trying to achieve. Full disk access Enabled.  

Thanks in advance and apologies for possibly using the wrong category.

Dropbox v189.4.8427

macOS Sonoma v14.2.1 (23C71)

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 10.23.00.pngScreenshot 2024-01-07 at 10.22.31.pngScreenshot 2024-01-07 at 10.21.41.png

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 11.14.50.png

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

Hi @oklahoma9 

Simply put you cannot do this. It wont work and will lead to data loss. 

If the directory is in iCloud you cannot sync to Dropbox. If its in Dropbox you cannot sync to iCloud. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

oklahoma9
New member | Level 2

Hi Mark,

Thank you for answering. If so, then what is the point of Dropbox suggesting me to backup Documents, Downloads and other iCloud Drive folders?

Mark
Super User II

I suspect Dropbox cannot see/aware that iCloud already is backing them up, but, it is why its failing.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

oklahoma9
New member | Level 2

Is there any way to report this issue to Dropbox? This is on their side.

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 18.32.01.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

oklahoma9 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?