cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have two devices connected but it says I've reached the limit of connected devices

I have two devices connected but it says I've reached the limit of connected devices

Toucanne
Explorer | Level 4

I have used Dropbox on my 2011 Mac for years in a very limited way, for one specific application. I have a Basic account, as I only have 69 MB of data total. 
Now I need to send a file to someone from my phone and she suggested Dropbox, as the file is too big for email. I installed Dropbox on my iPhone 11, but it told me I have reached the device limit. Back on the Mac, I found the area that deals with devices and disconnected 2 older computers. This leaves 3: my phone, my Mac (although it says it hasn't been used in 11 months) and Chrome Mac OS. Chrome isn't a device, but it calls it one and says this is what I'm using. This seems odd to me.
I also would like to have my iPad as one of the 3 allowed devices eventually, but why is a browser owned by Google considered a device?

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Toucanne, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

A web session would definitely not count as a connected device, so let's see what we can find out about this.

Can you please send us a screenshot of your devices list from this page?

You can edit out the names of the devices, if you want.

Thanks in advance!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Toucanne
Explorer | Level 4

Screenshot below.
Also, what iis a the differece between <Mac's name" and <Mac's name.local>? I unlinked the latter because it looked like a duplication but I'm not understanding why it was there in the first place or whether it's related to the other issue.
I should have 2 devices: my Mac and my phone. My copy of Chrome is on "Juliette's IMac."

Thanks!

DBscreenshot.jpg

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Toucanne! Hope you’re well. 

We can’t know this for sure, I’m afraid. It’s possible that the difference you see was caused by a reinstall, or a relink of the Dropbox app on this device.

Also, since the <”Chrome Mac OS”> device seems to be a mobile one, I’d suggest removing it, as well, and then try to log in to Dropbox on your iPhone 11. Are you able to sign in now?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Toucanne Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?