cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable selective sync to keep all files locally ?

How to disable selective sync to keep all files locally ?

AntoineHlmn
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I'm looking for the option to disable the selective sync. I want to keep all the files locally, at all times.

I don't find the option to disable selective sync. In the sync settings, I only see two options:

1) Selective sync: Hide folders you don't want to see on this Mac. Hidden folders will be available on dropbox.com

2) Dropbox folder location: This version of macOS requires Dropbox folders to be stored here: /Users/.../Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox

Edit: I'm on macOS 13.1 and Dropbox v165.4.4300

10 Replies 10

Mark
Super User II

Hi @AntoineHlmn 

You need to use the first option and then RE-TICK the boxes next to the folders you want to sync locally: https://help.dropbox.com/sync/selective-sync-overview

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

AntoineHlmn
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks @Mark,

You mean I have to un-tick and re-tick all the folders? All my folders are already ticked, but they remain "in the cloud" and not locally. Of course, the folders have always been visible in the finder (I'm on macOS, by the way, should have mentioned it), but not downloaded locally.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @AntoineHlmn 

So that means you are not actually using Selective Sync you are actually using Smart Sync 🙂

You need to go in to Preferences, go in to Sync and then 'New files default 'Available Offline'.

However, you will need to right click on all the ones with the little cloud and set that to 'Make appear offline'. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

AntoineHlmn
Explorer | Level 4

Well I think that's the issue...

In the preferences (on the app, not web), I only have the two options in my original post:

AntoineHlmn_0-1673694821578.jpeg

AntoineHlmn_1-1673695016455.jpeg

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @AntoineHlmn, as it looks like you're running the new version of the Dropbox desktop application for Mac OS, all files added via the site or other devices would be downloaded as online-only by default. 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

AntoineHlmn
Explorer | Level 4

That's exactly my issue: I'm looking for the expected behavior where everything is downloaded locally, and not kept on the cloud ...

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Currently, it wouldn't be possible to change it to make all files local on the new version Mac OS version of the Dropbox app.

You should still be able to mark folders as available offline by right clicking them in Finder and choosing that option.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

AntoineHlmn
Explorer | Level 4

Wow! That's a HUGE bug! Has it already been reported? If yes, will it be solved soon?

In the meantime, I see a couple of big issues with this:

1. By right clicking all the folders and checking "Mark available online", this option does not disappear, so that's a shady behavior. The folders get a green checkmark, though
  2. This does now work when creating a new folder --> not the behavior by default!
  3. This checkmark does not appear on the Dropbox folder itself (parent folder)
    1. Either it's a bug
    2. Either it doesn't work as expected

Benoahb
New member | Level 2

Have you found any work around this? I also struggle with offline files all the time.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jb43 Helpful | Level 6
    Benoahb New member | Level 2
    AntoineHlmn Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?