cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox terrifying memory usage on macOS.

High memory usage on Mac M1

hgz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I've just installed my first M1 iMAC and entered the Dropbox beta program.

I need to add that I run an Intel base MB Pro in parallel and I've entered the beta program there as well.

So far everything went fine, Dropbox runs Apple nativ and functionality is as expected (well known from the past).

Checking memory usage on the M1 Mac made me wondering. 7,4GByte!! 

After rebooting the machine it came down to 750Mbyte but nearly a day later its up again to 1,5Gbyte and is constantly increasing.

On the Intel MB Pro, everything fine and smooth. Memory consumption around 700Mbyte & constant.

Does anyone experience similar memory issues on M1 MAC's?

21 Replies 21

goBiGGER
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@hgz How did it go for you so far? I am currently getting 31GB+ Dropbox memory usage on a brand new Mac Studio Ultra 64GB ram. It's forcing it to use 4.5GB disk cache, wearing my SSD... Not to mention the CPU 100%. It is uploading a ton of files at the moment, but still... 

hgz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @goBiGGER 

unfortunately my memory (leak) issue still exists and I need to kill & restart the Dropbox process every 3 days.

Dropbox support was very kind and proactive so far and we ran through all possible user actions like re-indexing, checking security settings on the Dropbox folder (btw Apple Silicon machines need full access) and so on. As said, unfortunately the issue still exists and as far as I understood support, they will forward it now to engineering. I would assume that your experiences will help engineering identifying the root cause as well.

KR

Hans-Georg

goBiGGER
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

did the same, restarted and that got it down to 2.9GB at the moment. But I suspect if I leave it on another week or two it will get large again... A memory leak by the looks of it...

hgz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Issue was resolved.

Many thx to the Dropbox support team!

Root cause:

- a faulty,  external USB hard-disc which was configured for a Dropbox backup. Actually, this drive seemed to work properly but unmount/mounted themself periodically. 

goBiGGER
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I don't have a faulty external drive. The memory leak is real, not a hardware issue, it's a coding issue. Currently using 9GB ram. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @goBiGGER, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please send us a screenshot of the app's exact status and version as shown in your menu bar at the moment? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

goBiGGER
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 9.32.26 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-02-06 at 9.32.01 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-02-06 at 9.31.24 PM.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the screenshot @goBiGGER 

Could you try the latest, stable version of the app from this page and let me know if this persists? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ZeroClover
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I noticed that the DropboxFileProvider on my Mac is using over 20GB of memory. It is the same on my several Macs. These Macs all use Apple Silicon chips and run the latest macOS (Sonoma 14.0), with at least 16GB of physical memory.

ZeroClover_0-1698341247849.png

This also leads to high memory pressure on my macOS even when no other applications are running.

Is this expected behavior? Is there any way to reduce Dropbox's memory usage?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear about this, @ZeroClover.

Can you take a look at this article with all the possible reasons this might be happening and let me know if it helps?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?