cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox folder bounces in the dock on mac

Dropbox folder bounces in the dock on mac

SashaM
Explorer | Level 4

Dear Friends, I hope someone can help me.

I am using mac. Since the last update (when Dropbox folder was moved to a new location) I observe the following behavior. When I edit files with TexShop,  Dropbox folder in the dock starts bouncing, similarly to what happens with dowloads folder. I presume that  some aux files during the compilation of

I am using a Mac. Since the last update (when the Dropbox folder was moved to a new location), I have observed the following behavior. When I edit files with TexShop, the Dropbox folder in the dock starts bouncing, similarly to what happens with the downloads folder. I presume that some auxiliary files during the compilation of LaTeX get purged, so Dropbox (or Mac) is trying to bring my attention to that. Disabling folder animation as well as turning off bouncing of all folders from the Terminal with:

defaults write com.apple.dock no-bouncing -bool TRUE

did not help.

Is there a way to stop the bouncing? Thanks a lot.

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @SashaM, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please clarify your device's exact OS and the version and status of the Dropbox desktop app installed there as shown in your menu bar as well?

Have you tried pausing syncing or quitting the app when editing the files through the 3rd party apps you mentioned?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

SashaM
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

iOS: Ventura 13.0.1
Dropbox: v167.4.4719

If syncing is paused, the mentioned behavior is not observed: the Dropbox folder does not bounce. As soon as I resume syncing, the bouncing comes back.

Thanks for your help

jayare
Explorer | Level 4

I've had this same problem when using 2Do, and it's very distracting. So far, turning off all notifications for Dropbox in my system settings and in the Dropbox preferences (even notifications for things that seem unrelated, like @mentions) seems to have solved it.

[2 hours later: nope, spoke too soon. It seems like it might be happening less frequently, but it just now happened again. I'm just going to remove that folder from the Dock.]

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @SashaM & @jayare - sorry for the late response; are you still  having issues with this?

If so, please let me know here and I'll reach out via email to investigate further. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

jayare
Explorer | Level 4

I don't know, probably. I just took the folder out of the dock so it doesn't bother me anymore.

jeff3f
New member | Level 2

I just saw this for the first time on a new update to macOS Sonoma, and it was so horribly distracting that I just removed Dropbox from the Dock and now I don't have to look at it again. Not optimal but the bouncing icon was beginning to drive me insane after less than five minutes. I'm not sure this is controllable by the DropBox devs, but you might pass it back to the macOS folks. Thanks

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jeff3f New member | Level 2
    jayare Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    SashaM Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?