cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox backup question - how to make sure it is disabled?

Dropbox backup question - how to make sure it is disabled?

nataliaz
Explorer | Level 3

Hello there,

I got a question related to Dropbox Backup feature. Today I installed Dropbox on one of my PCs and while setting it all up I was asked if I want to backup my files, I picked 'not now' and thought all is good.

But I wanted to double-check that Dropbox is indeed not backing up my files. Using my my desktop app, I went to 'preferences' -> 'backups' and then, to my surprise, I saw I have there the option 'manage backups' visible not 'setup' as Dropbox page suggests I should have then when my backup option is disabled. When I'm clicking 'manage backups' I got the same pop-up window again as I got at the beginning - the one with a folder list and two options 'configure' and 'not now'. When I'm checking 'backup' subpage on dropbox.com website, I don't see anything there - the list is empty and when clicking 'manage backups' -> 'open backups settings' from there it redirects me to Dropbox desktop app where I have the option to 'add backup' and my PC is listed as the option.

So from my perspective, it looks as if I didn't enable backup indeed, but the fact I don't have 'set up', there - only 'manage backups' under 'Preferences' -> 'Backup' is very confusing for me. Is that normal to have 'manage backups' if I didn't decide to backup anything? Did Dropbox change the names on these buttons? I'm using my app in Polish btw., but I don't think that may be a translation thing. Is there any way I can be 100% sure Dropbox is not doing any backups of my files?

Sorry for this anxious tone, but as you clearly see, I'm an overthinker. I would appreciate any insight you can give me. Have a great day!

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @nataliaz, I'd be more than happy to answer this one for you! 

Since your Backup page online is empty, and based on everything that you described it sounds like you haven't enabled the feature. 

Also, it's normal to see Manage backups, even if the feature is not enabled. 

I hope this clarifies! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

nataliaz
Explorer | Level 3

Hi! Thanks @Megan a lot for your reply.

I read the article 'How to use Dropbox backup' before, but I was rather confused by the fact that in this text, under 'How to set up your backups' it is suggested that this 'set up' option should be available when I didn't enable backup feature before and want to do that for the first time. But, on the other hand, under 'How to access Dropbox Backup' part it is said to 'click set up or manage backups'. So from this page you provided it was a bit unclear whether it is normal indeed to see 'manage backups', even if the feature is not enabled. Maybe in my case seeing 'manage backups' (not 'set up') is related to this pop-up window that appeared after installing the app (where I clicked 'not now') and hence it was treated as an attempt to set up or something?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @nataliaz, sorry to jump in here!

If after clicking on the "manage backups" option, you don't see any of your desktop folders already checked, then they're not chosen to be backed up, so no need to worry!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

nataliaz
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Hannah, thanks for the reply!

So, after clicking on the 'manage backups' I got this screen (this is not mine exactly, as I'm using Polish, but I got the same) as below. I'm always clicking 'not now'. So some folders are, technically, 'checked' in some way, but I guess not in the way that would imply backup. 

01eqrJlwTzs4ACRmWo01fCt-47.fit_lim.size_960x.jpg

Also, as I said before, when I'm checking 'backup' on dropbox.com website, I don't see anything there - the list is empty and when clicking 'manage backups' -> 'open backups settings' from there it redirects me to Dropbox desktop app where I have the option to 'add backup' and my PC is listed as the option (this is from my account):

backup.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @nataliaz! I hope you’re doing well. 

As mentioned above, if you don’t see any backups when visiting the Backups page, then your files shouldn’t be backed up to Dropbox indeed. 

Also, what you can do as an extra test is to add a couple of files to your main computer folders (Documents/Desktop/Downloads) and then, check your Dropbox account. Since computer backup hasn’t been enabled, the files won’t show up on your Dropbox account after that. 

Hope this helps a bit.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

nataliaz
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Nancy ! 

Thank you! Just to double-check: by adding files and checking Dropbox account you mean checking the Backups page or checking Dropbox folder (its content?) - where newly added files should appear then?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Yes, exactly! If there are any files backed up to Dropbox, they should appear on your Backups page here.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?