cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Mac has hijacked my Screenshots

Dropbox Mac has hijacked my Screenshots

dukiebluedoc
Explorer | Level 3

I have Dropbox on my Mac OS  Sonoma.

As soon as it was installed, my Screenshots disappeared from my Mac Desktop and appeared in Dropbox.

How can I stop this?

I do NOT want my screenshots in Dropbox.

They need to be on my Mac desktop.

Thanks for any help--as a last resort I will just get rid of Dropbox from my Mac if there is no remedy for this.

Caroline

9 Replies 9

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dukiebluedoc - sorry to hear about this.

Have you tried disabling the feature through the app's preferences?

Let me know and we'll take it from there, Caroline. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dukiebluedoc
Explorer | Level 3

Couldn't find any apps preferences that would apply.

I have completely deleted DropBox from my Mac, and my screenshots are now back on my Mac Desktop.

If you have any ideas how I could prevent this from happening again, I am willing to reinstall Dropbox.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

You should be able to see the option that allows you to save your screenshots to Dropbox in the app's preferences under the backups tab @dukiebluedoc 

If you choose to reinstall the app and give it a go, let me know of the outcome! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Slimink
New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue, but I cannot find where "preferences" nor where it allows me to turn off how my screen shots are managed. I do NOT want to have DropboxCapture automatically take my screenshots and post them wherever they go (cannot find that either.) This setting is not easy to find.  Please help. I have a lot in Dropbox but this is a nuisance I am I having to consider if I am going to delete my account because of it.

Slimink
New member | Level 2

Back ups tab? Where is that located?  (please don't say under "Preferences" since that is an illusive tab on a MacBook Pro, also.)

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Slimink - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Do you see the Dropbox icon in your menu bar at the moment? 

If so, clicking on it should bring up the app's preferences from where you'd be able to navigate to the Backups tab to disable the option to have your screenshots saved in Dropbox.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Slimink
New member | Level 2

Hi! I have the dropbox icon in my menu bar at the bottom of my Mac. I click on it and it launches my dropbox files, but no account icon head. in the top of the window, there is a black dropbox icon but the only drop down options are "request files" , "view on dropbox.com", "make online only".....

When I click on "View on dropbox.com" I do end up getting an account icon head, so I click that and get a few choices: Settings is one of them. But when I select that, the tabs are: General, Plan, Security, Notifications, Apps, Sharing.  So, Under GENERAL, I scroll down to "Preferences" and only get these options: Language, Date, Time Zone, Early Access, Manually Add Contacts, Default Access to Folder Uploads (toggle is off), Dropbox System Extension (toggle is On), Online files only on Mac (toggle is off), Default Browser Context Menu (toggle is off). So...now I am stuck not seeing options that I think will allow to to disable DropboxCapture from hijacking my screenshots.  Any advice?

Slimink
New member | Level 2

incorporated edit above

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Slimink, if you click the Dropbox icon once, do you see an avatar or initials on the top right, like here

Are you able to click it to see the Preferences for the desktop app, and not the website like you described previously?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Slimink New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?