cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Email: says email already taken.

Changing Email: says email already taken.

patb1
Helpful | Level 5

Like many others, I am having trouble changing the email on my dropbox as it says the new email I want to use is already taken.

I have tried to get access to the account associated with the new email as suggested, but when I try to change the password, Dropbox says it will send the email to that address if the address has an account -- and it does not send the email. Also, if I try to log in with that email address, Dropbox asks me to go through setting up an initial account. The same thing happens if I try to log in with that google account. 

What's going to happen if/ when my old email goes away completely? Will I lose all access to my dropbox? Should I start saving everything to some other cloud storage system?

1 Reply 1

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @patb1, sorry to see you're having trouble.

I'd suggest reaching out to our support team about this, since they have more visibility with the tools on their end in order to help you determine what could be happening. 

To do so correctly, open a private browsing/incognito window and go to this page, fill out the form and submit your request.

Once you have your ticket number, please send that along to us here as well.

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?