cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Dropbox folder location on Fedora

Change Dropbox folder location on Fedora

mitja
Explorer | Level 3

I have Dropbox client installed on my Fedora machine, and by default it uses the folder ~/Dropbox for sync so it's located in the /home directory. I want to move the Dropbox folder to ~/Documents/ directory, and if I do it manually then after restarting the daemon it shows an error and it seems like the default destination can't be changed. Man pages did not show any solutions either. Can anyone advise, please?

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @mitja, and thanks for your post.

Can you try the steps here and let me know if they help?

Thanks.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mitja
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Hannah,

I've seen this article before but it describes the process for Mac and Windows clients. As far as I understood, for Linux distros (Fedora in my case) there's no GUI client hence those steps don't see applicable to me. I've got only Dropbox daemon running (which I can control via terminal). By the way, please let me know if I got this wrong and perhaps there's another package I should've installed from here: https://linux.dropboxstatic.com/packages/fedora/

Or perhaps there's a GUI version I should install from here: https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux ? 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @mitja,

Dropbox has GUI and if you system covers all requirements, than you should be able access preferences and change Dropbox folder place from there (just move the folder by hands is not supported on any system, including Linux). Typically you can see Dropbox icon near you system clock or, if there are too many icons there already (from other applications), the icon may appear hidden (check in hidden icons set). ðŸ™‹ Preferences may be selected from icon' context menu.

On other side while work in shell only, moving of Dropbox folder is NOT supported at all (only the default place is usable) - Dropbox imperfection (not to say bug). 🤷 That's it.

Hope this clarifies matter.

mitja
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Zdravko,

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately, it all still did not work, and after some research it seems like it is a common bug on Fedora+GNOME OSes. The daemon is running ok but GUI doesn't show up. I was trying to implement a few suggestions from reddit/forums but none of them really worked, so I gave up and installed Mega client for Fedora, and it worked perfectly (what's convenient is that it doesn't create a sync folder automatically but rather you specify which folders you want to sync to the cloud - I wish that Dropbox cli client had a setting of this sort or at least allowed to change the default location of the folder).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mitja Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?