cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't access my Dropbox files, as I keep being asked to verify my email address.

I can't access my Dropbox files, as I keep being asked to verify my email address.

AmyP2019
Explorer | Level 3

HELP!!!!  I set up a Dropbox account in 2012 with my school email address (not a school group account).  I can log in, but I cannot see my files because I cannot verify the account address.  When I try to change my email address, I receive an error message.  I just want to see my pictures from Italy!!!!

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II

@AmyP2019 wrote:

I can log in, but I cannot see my files because I cannot verify the account address.

If you're able to sign in, you shouldn't need to verify your email address to see your files. How long has it been since you last signed in to the account?

AmyP2019
Explorer | Level 3

Mid-February of 2024.  I had no problem accessing my files until I purchased a new computer.  When I installed the Dropbox app yesterday, I could log in, but I was prompted to verify my email address.  When I requested verification be sent to a different address, I got an error code.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @AmyP2019. The verification applies for the email address that’s currently linked to your Dropbox account, so it can’t be routed to a different email address. 

However, can you send me a full screenshot of what you see when trying to access your Dropbox files? If there’s any personal info, please make sure to mask it first.

Finally, you mention having this issue when using the Dropbox app. Can you access your files online instead?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

AmyP2019
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy,

Here is what I see even when I try the online site

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 4.59.01 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 4.57.13 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 4.56.37 PM.jpg

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for all these screenshots! Just to clarify, are you seeing the prompt to verify your email address right when you go to your Homepage here?

Are you seeing the same thing, if you try via an incognito window? 

Do you have any other devices (especially computers) where your Dropbox files are still accessible?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

AmyP2019
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy,

I see the verify message when I go to my settings.  I can see any of my files.  I get a message that I have to veryfy my old email before I can see me files.  It happens when I am incognito as well.

In the app, I am still told an email with a 6-digit security code has been sent to my disabled account lol

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @AmyP2019, thanks for the information. I’d recommend getting in contact with our support team directly to look into this matter in more detail.

You can do this by opening an incognito/private browsing window, while not signed into your account, and accessing this link

From there you should be able to contact support. Make sure to pick an email to which you can receive and send emails from.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

AmyP2019
Explorer | Level 3

Jay, thank you for responding.  All I see is the chatbot - no true conversation.  I am in search of literally 1 file.  Can I speak to a live person?

Mark
Super User II

@AmyP2019 wrote:

Jay, thank you for responding.  All I see is the chatbot - no true conversation.  I am in search of literally 1 file.  Can I speak to a live person?

Live Support is only available to Paid users (note, I believe you actually need to be paid and not a trial). If you are then you can get it Monday through Friday via www.dropbox.com/support 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    AmyP2019 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?