cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My IP addresses are different than shown in my security page

My IP addresses are different than shown in my security page

Lou49
Helpful | Level 5

i.p. addresses on my devices are different to the list of linked devices on my account

I want to check which devices I have linked to dropbox account.  In my account, I tapped the ‘i’ for info next to the devices listed to get the i.p address and noted them down.  I checked the ip address on all my  actual devices and none of them match the ip addresses on the Dropbox list.

So how do I identify the linked devices?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lou49
Helpful | Level 5

Hello Rich,

I did a bit of fossiking around to try and take the guesswork out of identifying the devices under the Dropbox Security list.  I thought that if the devices were named then that name should appear on the list...sadly not.  Two of the three devices were already named but my new iPhone wasn’t.  Being named did not transfer to the Dropbox list.  I then went on to dropbox app on each device and that is where I could see which device was connected because it says, eg. 'iPhone, this device is connected to Dropbox.’  That was easy. 

Thanks for clarifying the ip address issue.

regards

Louise

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Lou49 - thanks for posting on our Community and happy Friday!

Can you clarify if you're checking connected devices or web sessions? Don't you recognize the names of the devices listed in your Security page?

Let us know more and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Lou49
Helpful | Level 5

Hello

thanks for your reply

I have several devices on the device list. (3) They are just called iPad or iPhone.  I recently replaced my iPhone so I need to remove it from the list. Because there is no other identifying name I can’t tell which is which.  I just assumed that by matching the ip address it would identify it. I now realise that the ip address on the dropbox is for something else, not sure what.  But how can I identify my devices so I remove the right one?

regards

Louise

Rich
Super User II

@Lou49 wrote:

I just assumed that by matching the ip address it would identify it. I now realise that the ip address on the dropbox is for something else, not sure what.

Dropbox can only detect the IP address that you're connecting from. That usually won't be the IP address assigned to your device. Instead, it's usually the IP address of the router that connects you to the Internet.

When you're home, this would usually be the IP address of your modem or gateway as assigned by your Internet provider, assuming your phone is on wireless. This would also mean that all devices in your home would show as having the same IP address as they all connect through the same modem or gateway.

When using a cellular connection, this would be the IP address of whatever router your carrier uses to connect to the Internet.

But how can I identify my devices so I remove the right one?

The device that has connected most recently will be at the top of the list on your Security page. If you're still not sure, wait a day or two and see which device hasn't connected.

Lou49
Helpful | Level 5

Hello Rich,

I did a bit of fossiking around to try and take the guesswork out of identifying the devices under the Dropbox Security list.  I thought that if the devices were named then that name should appear on the list...sadly not.  Two of the three devices were already named but my new iPhone wasn’t.  Being named did not transfer to the Dropbox list.  I then went on to dropbox app on each device and that is where I could see which device was connected because it says, eg. 'iPhone, this device is connected to Dropbox.’  That was easy. 

Thanks for clarifying the ip address issue.

regards

Louise

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lou49 Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?