cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to unlink some devices, but their names don't match.

Trying to unlink some devices, but their names don't match.

soco1
New member | Level 2

Hi I'm trying to delink one device so that I can add another.  But when I go into see my devices, none of the devices listed show any of the devices I use--the names are totally different. Where can I find the source of the name that Dropbox uses?  None of the device IDs that Dropbox lists are listed in the "About" page of my devices that are currently linked to my dropbox. Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@soco1 wrote:

But when I go into see my devices, none of the devices listed show any of the devices I use--the names are totally different.

For computers, Dropbox uses the name of the computer at the time it was linked to the account. If the computer name changes, Dropbox isn't updated.

If the operating systems are different on your devices, hover over the information icon in the Most recent activity column and it will show you what the OS is for that particular device.

soco1
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply, Rich!  I guess my computer names must have changed.  I'm running windows 10 on all the devices, so that trick won't work.  Is my only other option just to uninstall and de-link my devices one at a time, and then re-install?

JohnnyDogman
Collaborator | Level 8

Here are some steps to help you unlink devices in Dropbox:

1. Check Device Names:

• Dropbox may use default names for devices based on the type (like "John's iPhone" or "MacBook Pro"). Check if the names correspond to any of your devices based on the types or models.
  2. Verify Device IDs:

• Unfortunately, Dropbox doesn't display the device IDs in a straightforward way. However, you can try looking at the settings of each device:
      • On iPhone/iPad: Go to Settings > General > About and check the name at the top.
      • On Mac: Go to Apple Menu > About This Mac for the model name.
      • On Windows: Right-click on This PC > Properties to see the device name.
  3. Accessing Device Management:

• Log into Dropbox on the web and go to Settings > Security. Under the "Devices" section, you'll see all devices currently linked to your account.
  4. Unlinking Devices:

• If you identify a device that you want to unlink, click the Unlink button next to it. This will disconnect that device from your Dropbox account.
  5. Change Device Name:

• If you want to change how your devices appear in Dropbox, you can rename them in the device settings (e.g., on your phone or computer) to match a more recognizable name.

If you still can’t find the device you’re looking for, or if the names are too confusing, consider unlinking all devices and re-linking only the ones you currently use.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JohnnyDogman Collaborator | Level 8
    soco1 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?