cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer ownership of files from a disconnected user to the whole team

Transfer ownership of files from a disconnected user to the whole team

Patrick Bailie
Explorer | Level 3

Hi. I need your assistance please. I am trying to move some files from an admin's personal account to our Team folder so that all the users in the organisation have access to these files. The folders are owned by a user who has been 'Disconnected'. The user has not been 'Deleted', so I don't seem to have access to the 'Manage files' option to transfer ownership of these files. As a result, I can't move the files.

I am an admin of the organisation, trying to do some cleanup!
Is there any way around this? Please let me know if you need any more info.
Thanks so much.

6 Replies 6

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting on our forum, @Patrick Bailie, and welcome aboard!

When saying that this user is disconnected, do you mean they’ve been suspended, by any chance? If yes, then transferring the files to someone else is only possible, if the member has been deleted from the team.

Even in this case though, it’s only possible to transfer those files to another member/or even you and then move them to the location of your choice for everyone to see and access. 

Let me know if I've misunderstood something, though.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Patrick Bailie
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy. Appreciate the welcome and thanks for the reply.

No, the user is listed as 'Disconnected'. On the Members tab of the Admin Console, the user is listed under 'Removed/Disconnected' rather than 'Deleted'. How do I transfer ownership of her files? Or does the user need to be deleted first before I can transfer ownership?

Thanks!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @Patrick Bailie, is a user is disconnected, then it means that they were offboarded from the team and converted to an individual account. This means that they kept the files that were associated with that user, and they now reside on their personal account, so you cannot transfer their files, since there are no files to transfer.

You can see the information that they are able to keep, and which files remain part of the team, from this page

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Patrick Bailie
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay. That makes sense, thanks so much. I was not around when these users were on the team so wasn't quite sure what that meant.

mr78
New member | Level 2

Hello,

This thread has been useful to me, as I'm experiencing the same issue. I disconnected several team members from our account, which switches them to a Basic account. However, there is only 2 GB of storage available on basic accounts, and several of my team members had over 2 GB of files when I transferred their accounts. What happens to the data that is over the limit of the Basic plan?

Mark
Super User II

Hi @mr78 

It should still be in their accounts, however, they wont be able to add/edit or amend the files unless they upgrade to get more quota. They will be able to download it to their local devices though. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    mr78 New member | Level 2
    Patrick Bailie Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?