cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Receiving 2FA Email Code in order to access the account.

Not Receiving 2FA Email Code in order to access the account.

tmaksemetz_jnlr
Helpful | Level 6

We provide IT for a company that has a Dropbox company account. We are having issues that started a few weeks ago with not receiving the 2FA email code that is sent when we login. This is causing us to not be able to login to Dropbox as an admin to manage a new user setup. 

I've tried opening a support case under my work email (seperate domain than the Dropbox account) and I've CC'd the admin on replies to the case, and replied to the case as the admin, but Dropbox support does not seem to be receiving emails from the admin account. I can send/receive emails from my work account to the admin, it is just Dropbox emails that do not seem to be flowing. I don't see anything on the email side that says that things are being blocked/rejected. 

I'm not sure if the admin account being a .onmicrosoft email is causing any issues with this. But at this point this has been an issue for weeks and I am not getting anywhere. Has anyone else had any similar issues, or is someone from Dropbox able to provide some insight? I can provide the ticket # that I have from working with Dropbox support under my account. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tmaksemetz_jnlr
Helpful | Level 6

I wanted to follow-up here to share that we have finally gotten this resolved. 

We were not able to resolve the issue with MFA emails failing between Dropbox and our @onmicrosoft domain. However, after a lot of back and forth, we were able to add a new admin with our normal domain and things are now working. 

It's unfortunate we couldn't find a resolution for the email issue, but things are at least working for us now. 

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @tmaksemetz_jnlr, welcome to our Community! 

I'd love to have the ticket number reference, if you can. 

Also, one small clarification: are you referring to the 2FA code, or the one-time-security-code that is sent to someone's email when trying to access their Dropbox account? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tmaksemetz_jnlr
Helpful | Level 6

Hello Megan,

Thank you for the response. The ticket # is: 23702399

The exact prompt that we are getting hung up on is:

Additional authentication is required
We sent a code to (Dropbox admin email) and any devices you’ve linked to this account. Enter the code to continue.

And then no code is ever received. I've checked spam as well as done message traces on our end and I am not seeing anything come through. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @tmaksemetz_jnlr, thanks for the ticket! 

Did you try to forward the email directly to the admin's email address, and then ask them to try and respond from there? 

If they have problems with this, have they then tried to reach Support directly through their account? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

tmaksemetz_jnlr
Helpful | Level 6

I've tried forwarding the email to the admin and replying. I've also tried CC'ng the admin onto the thread and replying, but nothing seems to go through. 

Unfortunately, we cannot go through support through the account as we cannot login to the account. 

Is there another email outside of the normal dropbox support domain that I could try emailing as the admin account to see if that at least goes through? It seems like there some kind of break in communication between Dropbox and the Admin account. 

tmaksemetz_jnlr
Helpful | Level 6

I don't feel comfortable putting our admin account on a public forum, but if you can PM me, or email me directly, I can send you screenshot of my replies from the admin account also if that helps. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @tmaksemetz_jnlr, I’d recommend getting in contact with our support team directly to look into this matter in more detail by following this method:

- Open an incognito/private browsing window, while not signed into your account

- Access this link
- Make sure to pick an email to which you can receive and send emails from

The team should be able to assist further.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

tmaksemetz_jnlr
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you Jay. I think I've already done that before, choosing the login options and 2FA, but I never received anything to the admin mailbox. Its almost like the Dropbox domain is being blocked, but I don't see anything being blocked from my side. I just tried again, so fingers crossed this does something. 

tmaksemetz_jnlr
Helpful | Level 6

I haven't received any updates yet. Are you able to check on your end if these emails are being blocked? 

Please let me know what we can do to resolve this as to me this feels unacceptable that we cannot get anywhere with support on this. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @tmaksemetz_jnlr, sorry to jump in.

I just checked the ticket number that you gave us and I see that you have an update on it from a member of our team, who replied to you on Friday.

Can you check your emails again, perhaps your spam folder, to see if the email ended up there for some reason?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

tmaksemetz_jnlr Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?