cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No longer have phone number for 2FA; no emergency code.

No longer have phone number for 2FA; no emergency code.

jrevers
New member | Level 2

Help.  I opened up a DB account using a yahoo email as primary and paying for PLUS, and added a gmail email to it for a secondary email. Got logged out, and now can't log in to primary account because I no longer have the old phone number for 2FA so the code goes to a phone number no one owns, and I can't find the "emergency code" that DB sent years ago. The only account that shows up now is a  basic account tied to gmail and there are only about 30 files in there from the past 2 weeks.  The basic platform isn't anywhere near large enough to hold my stuff - so I absolutely would NOT have created a basic account. DB thinks I opened up another account with basic status - but why on earth would I do that when I pay every month for the PLUS account?  I've been actively loading pics steadily for the past 5 years - but even more over the past 2 years (new granddaughter, and before my dad passed). The payment is definitely still coming out every month for PLUS (yahoo), but it's through a 3rd party (Google Pay). DB has been sent proof of when the account was created, when the gmail email was added as a secondary email, and all payments, via emails and screen shots, but doesn't seem to have any advice beside "cancel the payment" - as soon as I do that - there's nothing to fall back on and I feel like DB can wipe their hands of me, so I can't do that.  They can't help me open the account or unlock it because of the 2FA issue and not being able to come up with the years old emergency code. I am at risk of losing hundreds of photos of my dad before he passed away. ANY help would be appreciated.  

19 Replies 19

Rich
Super User II

@jrevers wrote:

... can't log in to primary account because I no longer have the old phone number for 2FA so the code goes to a phone number no one owns, and I can't find the "emergency code" ... doesn't seem to have any advice beside "cancel the payment"

Unfortunately, they're correct in this case. If you no longer have your two-factor authentication device and you don't have the emergency backup codes or another active device already linked to your account, then there's no way to gain access to the account. Your only option is to have Support cancel the subscription so you're not charged again.

Dropbox will not bypass the two-factor authentication to grant access to an account.

jrevers
New member | Level 2
Ugh. Thanks Rich. Well... I can't cancel ... If, some day, someone takes my old phone number, I might be fortunate enough to get them to talk to me, accept the code, and pass it on to me. If I cancel, everything is gone. I'm willing to wait as long as it takes. This is so sad. 😞 I wish DB didn't expect people to save an "Emergency code" for years, or gave the option to revert to another email OR phone number to retrieve an account. Devastated by this 😞

nandukhaire18
New member | Level 2
I have a very old account on drop box drop box which was linked with my mobile number is no longer with me and also the email id which I have now I am not able to login because I have its password but it is not logging in because it is also recovered. What should I do if it is not happening?

Mark
Super User II

Without access to the email it isnt possible to regain access to accounts: https://help.dropbox.com/account-access/lost-email-access

Do you have anything else still connected?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

bikram146
New member | Level 2
i lost my mobile phone and can't complete two way verification due to this, I'm enable to login into my account.

Rich
Super User II

@bikram146 wrote:
i lost my mobile phone and can't complete two way verification due to this, I'm enable to login into my account.

Do you have another active device linked to your account that can receive the code? If not, you'll need to use the emergency backup code(s) you were given when you enabled two-step verification.

DIGI-ONE
Explorer | Level 3
Can't sign into my account. Told to come here. Two factor is a load of rubbish can't even access my back up methods at this point since that was over 4 years ago. But still get a million emails about that account.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DIGI-ONE, thanks for posting here! 

Could you clarify if you're referring to our 2FA method, or if you have issues receiving our 6-digit-security-code

Do you have access to the email address linked to your Dropbox account? 

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DIGI-ONE
Explorer | Level 3
Yes I am talking about the 2FA method and yes I do indeed have access to the effected account.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    DIGI-ONE Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?