cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is it possible to access files on my hard drive that I no longer have email access to?

Is it possible to access files on my hard drive that I no longer have email access to?

ivan3278
Explorer | Level 3

In the past, I worked at a company that uses dropbox using company emails. Lately I was scanning my storage hard drive to make space and found that I still have GBs of files I worked on back then. I was thinking of putting some of this work onto a new portfolio, but I can't open these files because I no longer have the work email. Is there anyway I can use these old desynced files on my hard drive?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@ivan3278 wrote:

Does this just mean I didn't actually download these files onto my computer?

Correct. When you had access to the account/files, those files were marked as Online-only, meaning they didn't actually exist on your local drive. They were just pointers to the online files, which would download automatically when you tried to open one. Since you're no longer connected to the account, you can no longer access or download those files.

... is there a way to browse by downloaded files only?

No.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

Why wont it open? What is the error message?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ivan3278
Explorer | Level 3

ivan3278_0-1713747324047.png

They all have the x symbol on them, and trying to open an illustrator file says

ivan3278_1-1713747485262.png

Although I have to admit there are a few files I can open that don't have this symbol. Does this just mean I didn't actually download these files onto my computer? and the these icons represent that they exist in the folder at the time?

If this is the case, is there a way to browse by downloaded files only? this file directory has a massive folder structuring system and I don't want to look through each folder to see which ones I can actually use haha... 😅

Rich
Super User II

@ivan3278 wrote:

Does this just mean I didn't actually download these files onto my computer?

Correct. When you had access to the account/files, those files were marked as Online-only, meaning they didn't actually exist on your local drive. They were just pointers to the online files, which would download automatically when you tried to open one. Since you're no longer connected to the account, you can no longer access or download those files.

... is there a way to browse by downloaded files only?

No.

ivan3278
Explorer | Level 3

Not the answer I was hoping for but it all makes sense now. Thanks for the answers, I appreciate it!

Need more support?