cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Help to get access of account of child that passed away

I need help to get access to a Dropbox account of my child that passed away

brianskiba
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My daughter, Alexandra, died at the start of COVID in 2020.  I just saw a bill from DropBox, and since I have a free account, realized she must have used my credit card to buy more space.

Since I am a free user, I have no way to track this down by email or with a human, and let's face it, their chat box is useless.

Her email account is no longer accessible.

How do I get to this account given I don't know her dropbox password.  I know her email, but any changed password would likely have to be verified by her email address.

Thank you all for your help.  There are probably lots of pictures and videos that I my wife and I would cherisj.

Kind Regards,

Brian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@brianskiba wrote:

The next question is, do we use the same procedure you point to in order to get the 2 factor authentication turned off?

Sorry to hear of your loss 😞

You will need to speak to support to see if they can turn off 2FA - they may not be able to unfortunately. However, they are the only ones who can help. The link already given is probably your best bet

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @brianskiba, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We're sorry to hear of your loss and understand how important it would be to view any files she may have had. 

We do have information in this article that should help you in relation to locating her files on an existing device, or gaining access to her Dropbox account.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

brianskiba
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks very much Jay. 

We have the login and password, but we no longer have her phone subscription and Dropbox is doing a second factor authentication on the phone.  We can't update the phone number as we can't login without authenticating.

The next question is, do we use the same procedure you point to in order to get the 2 factor authentication turned off?

Brian

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@brianskiba wrote:

Sorry to hear of your loss 😞

You will need to speak to support to see if they can turn off 2FA - they may not be able to unfortunately. However, they are the only ones who can help. The link already given is probably your best bet

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

brianskiba
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Mark - As I have a free account, but my daughter had a paying account, not sure how I will ever post a trouble ticket or speak to anyone in support as I can't get onto her account because of 2FA, which is what I would like to ask them to remove.  Chickens and eggs.... Brian

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update. As the account has 2FA on it, it wouldn't be possible to login to it normally. 

In order to look into this matter in more detail, would it be possible to reach out to the email associated with your forum profile?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

brianskiba
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, my email is [Removed as per Community Guidelines].  I am the free account.  My daughter's email is [Removed as per Community Guidelines]

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks, I've sent you an email, please could you reply to it when you get a chance.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?