cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm stuck in someone's team!

I'm stuck in someone's team!

suger
Explorer | Level 4

Hey!

I have no idea how some guy that shot some video for an interview I did was able to make me part of a team, but I can't seem to do anything with my account anymore.  I tried unlinking- that did nothing.  Is there any way to get out of this guy's team or delete my account?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@suger wrote:

I have no idea how some guy that shot some video for an interview I did was able to make me part of a team ...

No one can MAKE you a part of their team. They can invite you to join the team, and if you accept you merge your account into theirs, effectively making them the owner of your account (you use one of their licenses). If you were on a paid account, you would have received a prorated refund.

In order to leave the team, the team admin needs to convert your account back to an individual account. It's important that they don't just remove you from the team as doing so would delete your account. If that were to happen, the team admin only has seven days to restore your account.

suger
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks, Rich. I can’t get ahold of the guy. I may have accepted some team invite, but didn’t know what I was signing up for. So, I’m stuck. This was years ago and I’m trying to upgrade my account to use it and I can’t. Do I have any other options? It doesn’t seem I can delete either.

Appreciate your help

Rich
Super User II

@suger wrote:
Do I have any other options? It doesn’t seem I can delete either.

Only the team admin can help with this matter. Technically, they own your account now, so they control it. You can't leave the team or delete the account on your own. The team admin has to do it. Even Dropbox Support wouldn't be able help you.

If you don't need the existing account anymore and you just want to start over, either create a new account with a different email address, or change the email address of your current account to free up the existing email. Once changed, you can create a new account with your existing email.

suger
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks, Rich. I appreciate it. Seems like this is something Dropbox should be able to better control. What if the team owner died. Is everyone just now stuck? I appreciate your help!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @suger, if the invite was from years ago, are you certain that the team itself is still active and being paid for? 

Could you confirm what your plan name and quota limit is from this page?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    suger Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?