cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I joined a shared folder and now my account is deleted

I joined a shared folder and now my account is deleted

Angela25
Explorer | Level 3

I am an entertainment company, that plays specific music for clients. I had a shared folder from a client, that show how usurped my account. No the client deleted my access to the folder and in doing so, deleted my (paid) account. The chatbox does not have a FAQ for this and I can not reach a live agent. How do I regain my account and/or reach a live agent?

5 Replies 5

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Angela25, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear about your account.

It sounds like instead of a shared folder, you joined a Dropbox team and now the team admin deleted you and your account from the team.

How long has it been since your account was deleted?

I'd recommend asking the team admin to restore your account to the team and then remove you by converting your account to an individual one.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Angela25
Explorer | Level 3

It's been 72hours. I have reached out to the team admin to ask to be restored. So how did this happen? I have (had) my own account.

Rich
Super User II

@Angela25 wrote:

It's been 72hours. I have reached out to the team admin to ask to be restored.

Keep the pressure on them as they only have seven days to restore the account.

So how did this happen? I have (had) my own account.

If what Hannah and I both assume truly happened, you didn't join a shared folder. You were invited to and accepted an invitation to join a team account. In doing so, you merged your account into the team account, using one of their licenses and effectively making the team admin the owner of your account. If you were previously on a paid plan, you would have received a prorated refund for the time remaining on your subscription.

When it came time to end the relationship with the client, they removed you from the team. This deletes the account, allowing them to reclaim their license. If the intent was to return control of the account back to you instead, they should have converted your account back to an individual account. This is something that will still need to do after they restore your account.

Angela25
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Rich and Hannah. Is there anyway to do this without the cient? Also, I checked and there was no prorated refund from Dropbox.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Sorry for jumping in, @Angela25. I’m afraid only the team admin can do this, in this scenario. 

About your prorated refund, there’s a chance it hasn’t been credited yet to your bank account (it usually takes 3-5 business days to be available). 

In any case though, I’d also push back regarding your account restoration to the admin, like Rich mentioned above. If there are any issues after that, let us know here and we can guide you from there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?