cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 404 when trying to login from multiple browsers.

Error 404 when trying to login from multiple browsers.

k3pard03
Explorer | Level 4

I have had a problem logging into my Dropbox accounts in the last couple of weeks.  Every time I try to login, the login page flashes up briefly and then I get the dreaded 404 page.  I have tried logging in from different browsers and repetitively trying to login from the list on the 404 page, but often nothing but closing the browser down and re-opening it works.  I didn't have that problem before so I don't understand why I have it now.

18 Replies 18

k3pard03
Explorer | Level 4

I cleared my cache several times and do not have any of the other restrictions.  I have also disabled autofill from Chrome and Lastpass, but I still have the error problem. The only way I can avoid the error is if I switch to the main Dropbox site from the Community.  That is, I can login to the Community with no problem from any browser but I can't login to my Dropbox folders via Chrome (because it autofills a user name and immediately gives the error).  If I clear the cache and wipe out cookies, I can login directly to Dropbox, but only once.  This isn't a problem in Edge.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @k3pard03, could you let us know the version of the web browser you're using so that we can investigate further? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

k3pard03
Explorer | Level 4

Version 117.0.5938.63 (Official Build) (64-bit).  I'm still having to login to the community and then go to Dropbox or I get the 404 error.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @k3pard03! Are you seeing this error message as soon as http://dropbox.com/login loads, or does it appear after you’ve entered your email address and password?

Besides that, can we log a ticket for you and email you here?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

k3pard03
Explorer | Level 4

The email address auto-fills unless I use something like https://www.dropbox.com/login?cont=%2Fh to log in.  However, if I try to use that from LastPass,

it auto-fills the email address but doesn't give an option for password and then goes straight to 404.  This happens even though I don't have auto-fill enabled in LastPass.  If I log out (after logging into the Community and then going to main Dropbox), sometimes it auto-fills and fails and other times it doesn't auto-fill.

I can (obviously) work round the auto-fill problem by using Firefox or logging into the Community, but it would be good to understand why the 404 error is happening, as it didn't until shortly before I reported it.  Up until that time, I had no problems logging into Dropbox, from LastPass or any browser on any device I have.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info, in order to look into this matter in more detail, would it be possible to reach out to the email associated with your forum profile?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

k3pard03
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, please use the email associated with my forum profile.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks, I've sent you an email, please could you reply to it as soon as possible.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Sam DBX
Community Manager

Hi all,

I just wanted to provide an overview on this report:

If you can login without problems when you are not using Last Pass, the issue might be related to Chrome and Last Pass.

Our team has looked into this, and we haven't identified an issue (at our end) at this moment. 

Let us know if you have any other insights,

Thanks,

Sam 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sam DBX Community Manager
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    k3pard03 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?