cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 404 when trying to login from multiple browsers.

Error 404 when trying to login from multiple browsers.

k3pard03
Explorer | Level 4

I have had a problem logging into my Dropbox accounts in the last couple of weeks.  Every time I try to login, the login page flashes up briefly and then I get the dreaded 404 page.  I have tried logging in from different browsers and repetitively trying to login from the list on the 404 page, but often nothing but closing the browser down and re-opening it works.  I didn't have that problem before so I don't understand why I have it now.

18 Replies 18

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @k3pard03, let's jump right into this! 

Interesting. Have you tried clearing your browser's cache, by any chance just to exclude that as a possibility? Does that happen with all the browsers you've tried? 

Additionally, do you have any proxy, VPN, or even ISP/router restrictions could be restricting traffic to the Dropbox domains?

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

k3pard03
Explorer | Level 4

I've cleared the cache and it doesn't fix the problem past the first time I log in (in Chrome).  As soon as I log out and try to log in again, I get Error 404.  There doesn't seem to be a problem with Edge.  I think it is to do with Dropbox autofilling the last username (somehow).  I have cleared autofill, turned autofill off, unticked "remember me" and still get Error 404.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @k3pard03, could you send me a screenshot of the error you get -without showing any of your personal info-? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

SoundTranscripts
Explorer | Level 4

Several of my team members and I have also being having this problem the past few weeks. We've found that the problem is Google is forcing the page to move to a "sign in with Google" option, but we use Outlook email addresses to sign in so that the company can control what happens when team members leave.

SoundTranscripts_0-1692904317216.png

I've received this error, many of my team members have received this error.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @SoundTranscripts, do you have any kind of password manager that tries to autoogin onto the Dropbox site, or does your group use any kind of SSO to access your accounts? 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

SoundTranscripts
Explorer | Level 4

Hey @Jay, we use Lastpass. I also noticed that it doesn't happen when I use Firefox to log in to the exact same account using Lastpass. I think it may be a Chrome-specific issue.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

After a brief search, there is a feature for Chrome called Auto Sign-in, which uses your Google profile on the top right to login, and it could even be a group policy from IT. 

It's possible this might be related to what you're experiencing. While I can't provide support on that feature, perhaps the information I provided above might help out a little.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

SoundTranscripts
Explorer | Level 4

After some troubleshooting (because I'm the technology coordinator for my company), I think I have a workaround. The problem does NOT happen in FF when using Lastpass to log in to Dropbox.

I think a recent-ish update in Chrome is what started this. My recommendation to anyone who is having problems getting into Dropbox using Chrome is to temporarily log out of your Chrome browser account. (Make sure you remember your password before you do!)

Then log in to Dropbox using the email+password method, then you can log back in to your Chrome account on your browser.

I'm off to test this with my team. Fingers crossed this fixes it for everybody! I can't tell you WHY it does this, but hopefully, it will be the fix needed.

k3pard03
Explorer | Level 4

The screenshot is the same as shared by SoundTranscripts.  I have also tried logging in and out of the account I use for Chrome, but that hasn't worked.  Logging into the Dropbox community works fine, which makes no sense because the login is the same as for Dropbox itself.  I can then get to my folders by simply clicking on the Dropbox icon. If I then log out, I get the same 404 Error when I try to login from the main Dropbox website.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sam DBX Community Manager
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    k3pard03 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?