cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End to End Encryption Coming?

End to End Encryption Coming?

morkus
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I read that Dropbox will be starting to roll out end-to-end encryption (where they don't have the keys to read content if they chose to).

Does anyone know when this feature will be available?

Since iCloud now has this End-to-end encryption feature with its "Advanced Data Protection", I may just need to opt for that instead if Dropbox isn't going to implement this security soon.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @morkus 

This looks like its a feature thats only going to be available to Business customers via a third party add on called Boxcryptor which Dropbox recently acquired. There is no mention of it being available to standard users. 

https://www.techradar.com/news/dropbox-is-bringing-end-to-end-encryption-for-business-users

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

28 Replies 28

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @morkus 

This looks like its a feature thats only going to be available to Business customers via a third party add on called Boxcryptor which Dropbox recently acquired. There is no mention of it being available to standard users. 

https://www.techradar.com/news/dropbox-is-bringing-end-to-end-encryption-for-business-users

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

morkus
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks.

That's what I thought.

Perhaps Apple's "Advanced Data Protection" will help DB roll out this feature to all their users.

evensenm
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am a BoxCryptor customer that has a valid paid subscription that ends very shortly and can't be renewed due to this aquisition.  I still want the same features that BoxCryptor offered as far as end to end encryption and should be available to all paid users, but even if it's only available to "business" accounts, I can't find any information about what (business) plan is required along with whatever the prices would be.  It would be helpful if someone could give me that information before my BoxCryptor subscription expires in less than 14 days.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @evensenm, just wanted to share an update on this.

So, we plan to embed Boxcryptor’s zero-knowledge encryption capabilities natively within Dropbox for Business users on our paid plans to use across all file supported types on Dropbox.

We’re working to introduce this functionality to our Business customers as soon as possible. 

We are still finalizing the pricing and will share more information as soon as possible.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Storager
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same thing with me/us. Have been asking Dropbox support serveral times since autumn. Due to lots of data to be stored securly (end2end encrypted), our Boxcryptor licences ending and Dropbox still having no product to offer even for business customers, I started to evaluate tresorit for our team. It's a pitty since we have had a couple of really good years together, Dropbox, Boxcryptor and us. 😉

evensenm
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have a trial of Dropbox Plus, but with my trial period being close to expiring, and my BoxCryptor account expiring in 3 days, I have decided to cancel my trial, and don't plan on resubscribing until I get more information about the plans that will include end-to-end encryption, and what the prices would be.

evensenm
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Another cloud storage option is MEGA which offers 20GB of storage for its free users (I have 50GB of storage because that's what free accounts used to get, and I've been grandfathered in), and offers paid accounts as well.  All of the plans (including free users) have end-to-end encryption.  I would like to subscribe to a plan with Dropbox that has end-to-end encryption, otherwise I will have to rely on MEGA instead.

Don Martin
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

any news regarding the old end to end boxcryptor functionality within Dropbox?

thanks

Storager
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My last support contact with Dropbox on this matter was three weeks ago. There was no date available yet for an end-to-end encryption offer. In the meantime, our Boxcryptor licences have expired and we therefore left Dropbox Business in favour of Tresorit and have had very good experiences there so far. For private file encryption with various cloud services (e.g. OneDrive), my experiments with Cryptomator (open source) were very promising. I will test Dropbox with a free account and Cryptormator when I get the chance. Since we left Dropbox with our business data, however, this is no longer a hurry for me.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

apfund Dropbox Product Manager
    c_my_name_is Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
    DanniViolet Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?